Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker Pro and FM Server on the same computer

This topic is 3390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

From what I've seen in other threads it's not considered best practice to run FM Pro and FM Server on the same server. 

I currently run FM Pro Advanced on a FM Server for doing my own updates to a master copy of my application. This copy is not accessed by anyone else but me when I am making updates. I have never had any issues with file corruption doing this.

I currently run two separate servers for my users. They use Remote Desktop to connect to a multi-user copy of FM Pro on one server and then do a Open Remote to open their particular application on the other server (which is of course running FM Pro).

My understanding is that it would work fine to run the multi-user copy of FM Pro on the FM Server as long as everyone uses Open Remote and not Open to access their application. Is this true? If so, it is possible to prevent users from using Open rather than Open Remote?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

My understanding is that it would work fine to run the multi-user copy of FM Pro on the FM Server as long as everyone uses Open Remote and not Open to access their application. Is this true? If so, it is possible to prevent users from using Open rather than Open Remote?

Heck No!   DO NOT DO THAT!

You do NOT want to combine those roles on the FMS box.  Leave FMS to do its own thing and use a separate box for your user connections.  Even if you had the beefiest server ever made, with oodles of RAM and processing power, it would still be a very bad idea from a risk perspective to do what you are proposing.

This topic is 3390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.