Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Problems on Windows XP

Piotr

This topic is 8028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Recently I have started experiencing problems with starting FM 5.5.2 and opening FM files in Windows XP Professional. It takes about 2 minutes to launch FM (I have a 1.8 GHz Dell with plenty of memory)and it sometimes takes even longer to open an individual file, regardless of its size. I have a 10-file solution that can take up to 20 minutes to fully open. Windows Task Manager reports "FM Not responding" while files are being open. Once the files are open everything works with no problem and the application is snappy. Any idea why it may be happening? I haven't made any chages to the configuration of my computer or installed any new programs since the last time FM run without problems. Norton Utilities reports no problem with either Windows or the hard drive. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha,

I recently experienced the same problems with Windows XP running FileMaker 5.5v2 : for months the program was fine and just recently, not coincidental with any changes to the system, an incredible slow down in launching the software and opening databases.

My problem was solved by uninstalling & reinstalling PC MacLan (used to communicate with AppleTalk printers). Before I determined that however I tried everything else for 3 full days: uninstalling & reinstalling FileMaker Pro; deleting Temp Files using both Norton Utilities and Disk Cleanup; Disabling the network and USB devices; troubleshooting startup items; you name it I tried it and it didn't help.

FileMaker Pro is notoriously picky about printer drivers. Some printer drivers won't work with FMP and certain OS (e.g., Seiko Labelprinter & WIndows 2000). I suggest you look into the printer issue OR consider restoring your system to a previous day when FMP was fast OR troubleshoot your startup items/services to pinpoint the conflict if any.

Hope this helps!

Holly

Honolulu, Hawaii

Thank you Holly for your reply. With the help of FM tech support I was able find a conflict with a printer spooler file, which in the light of your comment makes perfect sense. I also use PC MacLan to access my AppleTalk printer. I "solved" the problem by quitting the MSPOOL.EXE (I think that's the name of the file) process in the Task Manager before launching FileMaker. The process restarts itself after a few seconds and FileMaker runs with no problems. Obviously this is not a permanent solution and I will try reinstalling PC MacLan now.

Cheers,

Piotr

Aloha Piotr,

When I reinstalled PCMacLan, I didn't bother to install the Print Spooler, only the File Server and AppleTalk components. Things have been better however I notice a considerable slowdown in FileMaker if the default printer is not turned on.

Please keep me posted on any more permanent solutions that you discover.

Holly

This topic is 8028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.