Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multiple Charts from one table

Burns2k

This topic is 3375 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi All,

Firstly, apologies if i have posted this in the incorrect place - there was no 'newbie' section...

I have recently developed a database that is designed to allow technicians to submit safety observations to a database (date/time/location/category of hazard/observation that kind of thing)

What i would like is to give management or the EHS team the ability to produce a monthly report on a single A4 (or a dashboard) that contains bar/pie charts with;

1) number of submissions 

2) per company

3) numbers open/closed

etc etc

This is quite simple to do on excel but can't find and advice on how to do it with FM13. Any advice would be appreciated...

Again apologies if this is in the wrong place or too basic.

Thanks in advance.

1) number of submissions 

2) per company

3) numbers open/closed

etc etc

Showing the number of submissions per company, sub-summarized by their open/closed status, shouldn't be a problem. The "etc etc" part could be a big problem, though. Especially if it involves finding and/or sorting records in a way that would conflict with the first requirement.

In general, before you get to the problem of "how do I produce a chart that shows [this or that]" you should ask yourself "how do I show data summarized [this or that] way?" Once you have a report showing the exact data points you wish to chart, producing the actual chart becomes trivial.

• Newbies

Ok, whilst i have managed to generate charts for the first two with little problem, the confusion now lies in the next chart - classification. To elaborate on my specific issue, the HSE officer would categorise each observation under 1 of 5 options (Dangerous occurrence, near miss, damage to property etc). Is it possible to then pull this information into a chart at the same time?

the HSE officer would categorise each observation under 1 of 5 options (Dangerous occurrence, near miss, damage to property etc). Is it possible to then pull this information into a chart at the same time?

I am afraid you assume we know more about your data than what you have told us. If the first chart requires sorting the observations by Status (open or closed), and the second chart requires the same records to be sorted by Category, then no - the two charts cannot be drawn from the current data at the same time. You must either use a script to get the data points required for the first chart and store them in a variable before proceeding with the second chart, or use the ExecuteSQL() function (preferably, also in a script) to get the required data points through its own mechanism that does not consider the current found set and/or sort order.

• Like 1

• Newbies

My apologies for being a bit vague - 

or use the ExecuteSQL() function (preferably, also in a script) to get the required data points through its own mechanism that does not consider the current found set and/or sort order.

Excellent advice - thanks!

This topic is 3375 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.