Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Apple Make, Firmware, & Unitech Scanners

This topic is 7553 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I purchased a Unitech MS265 with USB interface to integrate into my FileMaker Pro database only to find that the firmware (v.2.6) didn't support the command (Apple) key. (Mac compatible my tushie!) I went to replace it with the MS690 (that bd from LiveOak among many others reccommended so highly) but was told by Unitech that "MS690 has firmware version 2.9 and it must have firmware verision 3.1 or higher to support the left WIN key or Apple Command key. Only MS210 has firmware version 3.1"

Is this true? If you are using a Unitech scanner in a FileMaker/Mac environment, do you know what version firmware you're using? Is anyone else using it straight USB (without a ADB/USB adapter?)

Anyone have any experience with this?

Here is the readout of the version from the MS690 I've had for about 3 years.

"MS690 V3.2 Jun.25,98"

I find it hard to believe that the only version they are currently selling of the MS690 has firmware older than the one I bought 3 years ago.I wouldn't talk to Unitech. To get a usable manual, buy the MS690 from SNX. I know they get a few bucks more, but the translated Unitech manual is junk. SNX writes their own, it's very good (http://www.snx.com). Their tech support is also excellent. They will also know the answer to the version question. Perhaps the 3.2 version is unique to the MS690's produced for and sold by SNX.

-bd

Hmm. Thanks for the info. Now Unitech's response seems REALLY odd. Well, i had to get something here by tomorrow and I was afraid to try the MS690 straight from UniTech. I cancelled my order for the MS690 and ordered both the MS210 USB and the WelchAllyn 3800 USB (gonna try both and return one - ******* the restocking fee). If neither works, I'll go to snx. Very frustrating.

******* the hamster! i tried setting cmd-1 and cmd-2 with the MS210 with no luck. i can get the prefix and suffix to work in text edit but the data doesn't transmit. in filemaker, nothing seems to happen. if i make a prefix and suffix of ASC characters ('ABC' or 'XYZ') it works. key combos don't. i thought perhaps it was the same problem that rgeller mentioned in another barcode thread but at least he got some data. i tried setting the terminator to 'none', i brought the intercharacter delay up to 200ms...

the WelchAllyn has an amazing level of documentation but as a non-programmer, i get a bit lost. i've been searching the manual and the net for hours and i can't find what hexadecimal code to use for the apple "cmd" key.

i'm reluctant to try the MS690 since the MS210 is just it's younger brother. it has the latest firmware. it SHOULD work. gonna try contacting Unitech again. Gonna see what they have to say.

Take a look at the manual. The way you send the "Command 1" is not to send "Command" then "1", the key sequences should look like:

"Command Make" "1" "Command Break"

and

"Command Make" "2" "Command Break"

Also remember, that that script you wish to assign to Command 1 and Command 2 must be the checked to show in the scriptmaker menu. If the manual has the provision to send the command key, the problem is likely something you are overlooking - don't quit yet. If the MS210 uses the same firmware as the MS690, a faxed copy of the SNX manual pages needed may help. The Unitech manuals are usually very poor. If you need to, give me a call at (760) 728-7046 and we'll try to work it out.

-bd (Brent Dussia, Live Oak Systems)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the help (and the kind word) brent.

i finally got the snx scanner. i'm still playing with the MS210 but thought i'd try the snx ms690 to see if it'd work out of the box. it had a firware version 2.9 (gonna call snx and see if they have something newer) and had the same behavior (scripts don't seem to trigger) as the MS210. i should've realized that it's probably a timing issue of some sort.

the filemakers scripts are simple:

Script 1 is a single "Go To Field" line.

Script 2 beeps once and then shows message "Woohoo! It works!"

Both scripts are checked to 'show in menu' and the scanner is programmed with a preamble of "Apple Make" "1" "Apple Break" and a postamble of "Apple Make" "2" "Apple Break"

although the scripts don't run in filemaker, if i set a preamble of "Apple Make" "A" "Apple Break" and try it in any other application, it'll Select All without a hitch. I can properly run a single preamble or a single postamble but not both in the same scan. slowing the intercharacter delay doesn't seem to help much. Single preambles and postambles don't seem to work in FileMaker either. I just get the "Before typing press Tab..." error message. Gonna try other variations and hope that something works.

I still don't buy the timing theory. I've used this approach on a variety of machines, both old and slow and new and fast. Keyboard entries go into a queue and are handled as the machine gets to them, not thrown away if the machine is busy. Are your scripts the only two in the scriptmaker menu? The "Command-1" script must be the first displayed script and the "Command-2" script the second. Sounds obvious, but there is some reason FM is not responding

What barcode symbology are you scanning? If you are scanning Code 39 (3 of 9), you must print the barcodes labels with a "*" appended before and after the number/letters to be scanned. For example, if you want to scan "123", you must print a barcode label containing "*123*". An invalid scan will not send anything to the keyboard port.

Also, you must scan some valid symbology to generate the keyboard port input. For Code 39 this means both leading and trailing "*" and something valid in between.

Make sure the scanner is programmed to the Macintosh character set (they come programmed for Windows) and that the barcode you are scanning (Code 39, Code 128, etc.) is enabled.

I think there is some obvious error in setup, I seriously doubt timing is the problem.

-bd

okay: after umpteen hours on the phone with snx and unitech tech support i have the definitive answer to my problem with unitech barcode scanners, the macintosh, firmware, and usb:

1. Unitech scanners with a straight USB interface (no ADB adapters) only support the [color:red]Apple Make(%VV)color=red> and [color:red]Apple Break(%VW)color=red> commands if they have Hamster (firmware) version 3.1 or higher. My MS690 has Hamster v.2.9. My MS210 has Hamster v.3.1.

2. The codes listed in the manual for [color:red]Apple Make(%VV)color=red> and [color:red]Apple Break(%VW)color=red> will not work with a Unitech scanner with a straight USB interface. Because decoding is handled differently with the USB cable, the correct code for [color:blue]Apple Make is actually %VWcolor=blue> which is the code listed as [color:red]Apple Break(%VW)color=red> in the Unitech manual. The correct code for [color:blue]Apple Break is %VXcolor=blue> which is listed in the Unitech manual as function code [color:red]F24color=red> under [color:red]'Appendix C. Function Codes for IBM Terminals'color=red>.

3. All of this applies only to Unitech scanners with a straight USB cable on the Macintosh. None of this applies to Unitech scanners with a PS2 or ADB connector. (Although apparently there is an issue where USB scanners will not support the Win key unless the firmware is v.3.1 or higher as well.)

Most barcode scanner vendors seem to ship directly from the manufacturer. If you're looking to buy a Unitech scanner with a USB interface for the Macintosh, make sure that the vendor sends you a Unitech with Hamster v.3.1 or higher.

So you were right, Brent. It was not a timing issue. Thanks so much for your help. I'm definitely sticking with the Unitech scanner. Now that the bug is out of the way, the Unitech was a lot easier to integrate into FileMaker than the Welch Allyn i tried.

I hope this helps out the next person looking to add scanner functions to their database.

Don't you hate it when you have to become a expert on a topic just to make something "simple" work! I'm definitely adding your post to my database.

FYI, the MS690 will work with the iMate ADB/USB adapter, but not with (some?) other brands. We had a post from a member who changed adapters to the iMate and solved another MS690 problem (this is the one snx sells with their version of the MS690).

Glad you finally ran this one to ground.

-bd

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

WOW--I feel like I have been in the exact same boat as you. We purchased Unitech barcode scanners for use with our FileMaker solution only to find that they wouldn't send the Apple Make and Apple Break commands correctly. On top of that, they seemed to report the keyboard input too quickly for FileMaker to handle. Thanks to your post, however, we were able to make the necessary corrections to get our solution off to a promising start.

A few lessons in all of this...

(1) Preamble: "Apple Make" + 1 + "Apple Break"

....Good steps include Set Field = "", "Go to Field"

(2) Postamble: "Apple Make" + 2 + "Apple Break"

....Let the postamble actually do the work. Have the input placed in a generic field on the layout and then let the postamble figure it out by use of scripting. I found it best to not pause scripts between these steps. You know that if the preamble runs, the postamble WILL run too.

(3) InterCHARACTER delay (I made it the max of 100ms)

(4) Disable the Carriage Return at the end of input (it helped me).

If anyone else is having problems with their Unitech MS210 scanners for Macintosh, I think these are some tried and true methods that will prevent you from jumping ship.

• 1 month later...

This is why I recommend that the MS690 scanner be purchased from SNX ONLY. They write their own manual (the stock Unitech manual is incomprehensible). The Unitech MS690 I have was purchased 5 years ago from SNX and is Firmware version 3.2 (www.snx.com). I have had very poor response when dealing directly with Unitech or other distributors. I don't know if the firmware version is unique to SNX.

-bd

This topic is 7553 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.