Another Resolution Question

This topic is 8036 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Everyone probably knows what this is regarding... running your solution at different resolutions. I see 3 options. What do you do?

1. Maximize all windows (looks horrible on my monitor - 1600 X 1200 at 22")

2. Restrict window sizes to 800 X 600 with script steps (640 X 480 you're out of luck)

3. Check resolution on start-up then have at it on designing dozens or hundreds of extra layouts to accomodate the solution at several different resolutions (time consuming and expensive for the client)

What is the preferred method? Did I leave something out?

Thanks!

I'm used to working on Mac. However, I do need to consider the PC side as well. I'm used to working on our internal company DBs, we are on all Mac. However, now I am starting to work on PC stuff and need to take that into account.

On the PC, FMP appears in its own application window. All open databases appear *inside* this application window -- very different to Mac.

Also, I've found that if any database window is restored or minimised it "un-maximises" all the database windows. I hate that. So for me the hide window method I used on Mac doesn't work on PC. To get the look I want I end up maximising all databases -- even join files -- and keep them maximised at all times.

Now, the issue of resolution is another story. But compared to window behaviour it's relatively straight forward.

I ran into a similar problem on the first file I made. The method I used was to set my desktop resolution to 800x600, and make a big box in the layout that just fits the maximized window (this represents the area I will use). Then I set the resolution to 1024x768 and in FM zoom in. Usually when you zoom in, the square no longer fits. Then I resize the square to fit at this resolution. This way, when they are at 800x600 resolution, they leave it and it fits ok. If they are at 1024x768, they can zoom in once using the view menu and it fits okay.

I hope I explained this right. You may have to re-size things when running on a Mac (I know I did). So now I just make a separate Mac version.

Ken

This topic is 8036 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.