Using a File for all Utility functions

This topic is 8043 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm using FMP 5.5 for windows and I have a question that I'm sure has been solved or asked before.

I would like to use one file maker file (Like a menu) to serve all utilitiy functions i.e. export and import into or from various data files. So I've created a Utilities file and from there I want to export data from my orders file, invoices etc... My problem seems to be that when I use the export from the script command it wants to export from my Utilities file and I can't tell it to use my Orders file.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

You can do it by creating all the required scripts in the "data" file. Then, when you are in the "utility" file, you can run them as external scripts. Make sure that you choose all records, or just the subset you want updated/exported/imported because when the script runs it will affect whatever the "found set" is at the time.

To bring data into an existing FM file, e.g."Utilities", you must IMPORT into that file from that file. You can't export TO an existing "Utilities" file from the "Utilities" file or the "Invoice" file, etc. If you export TO an FM file, it must be a new file you are creating upon export.

Import and can bring in data from another FM file. Export always creates a new file or completely replaces an existing file.

-bd

This topic is 8043 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.