Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need help with a formula to generate a selective list

This topic is 3241 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi! I am very new to Filemaker Pro 13. I am creating an employee database that records all trainings they have taken. My layout is all set up EXCEPT I can not figure out how to create a summery/list of trainings that are only applicable to a specific employee. I have about 100 different trainings and if a particular employee has taken the training I have an "x" on my very large excel spreadsheet. How do I create a formula that will generate a list of all trainings that have an "x" in my excel spreadsheet that correspond with each employee? I do not want to have to list every training ever on each record and have to scroll through and find the ones that have a check next to them, I would get nowhere! Thank you so much!

You will need, for starters, 3 tables.  One for employees and one for training received and one for the types of training.  Then create a relationship between the tables with the 'training received' as the join table.

In it's basic layout format, a layout based on employees could have a portal based on training that will show only the training for that employee. 

An example of how this is set up can be seen with one of the starter solutions.  Just for structure, take a look at the Invoices starter solution.  You basically want to replicate an Invoice---<LineItems>---Products model

Edited by Steve Martino
additional info
  • Like 1

This topic is 3241 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.