Hosting databases for FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Go clients using Port 443

This topic is 2842 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I'm looking for a little feedback on hosting our FM 14 database through a different port other than 5003. We are experiencing latency issues with our Filemaker Go clients being on hospital wifi's and a lot of the accounts are blocking ports. We would like to use 443 to host the file to avoid blocked ports or other issues. We currently have a VPN setup to help with this issue, but, this tends to be hit or miss for our sales rep. These reps typically like to get in and out quickly and have severe ADD, so getting kicked out and having to trouble shoot how to get in and stay is making them feel like the database isn't working well. 

Does anyone know of a way to host files through 443 instead of 5003? If so, will this mess with any container fields, or will anything need to be reset as far as the configuration goes? I realize this may be an "off label" type situation, but, we are desperate and if it works but just isn't recommended like many other things Apple shoots down, I would like to pursue it. 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!

Bryan

34 minutes ago, BJONES181 said:

Hello,

I'm looking for a little feedback on hosting our FM 14 database through a different port other than 5003.

You can't.

5003 is the port assigned to FMI for its proprietary FMP/Go to FMS communication.

The only way you can get around your restrictions is web publishing (webDirect or custom web publishing) or using a remote desktop solution like Citrix or Terminal Services.

• Newbies

Thanks for the feedback. In your opinion would my best option be to move to an "offline" syncing type program? I looked at one from seedcode, not sure your experience with them. A problem that I have with the syncing applications is it gives our sales reps an excuse to hide behind if they didn't submit something properly or on time. For example, a bill or appointment should be scheduled as soon as possible upon knowledge or action of the bill/appointment, but, they could say they did but it must not have not synced properly. Is there any of these applications that log somewhere if an attempt has been made to sync, or maybe an auto sync option every 10 seconds or so?

One issue I am concerned about for web direct is our users submitting pictures of their bills from their smart phones camera. Is this possible on web direct and can it be used on an Android phone? I know Filemaker doesn't approve it, but, off label, will it work?

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Edited by BJONES181

40 minutes ago, BJONES181 said:

One issue I am concerned about for web direct is our users submitting pictures of their bills from their smart phones camera. Is this possible on web direct and can it be used on an Android phone? I know Filemaker doesn't approve it, but, off label, will it work?

WebDirect is fully supported on both iOS and Android so no worries there; the users can upload pictures on either platform.

41 minutes ago, BJONES181 said:

Thanks for the feedback. In your opinion would my best option be to move to an "offline" syncing type program?

Could be... but that is not a trivial exercise.  There are 3 or 4 pre-built syncing solutions out there; I would suggest you look at each one and figure out which one  you are most comfortable with it.

The 'hiding' argument is a business workflow issue; not so much a database operation one.  Not to dismiss it, but if that concern is big enough then the remote desktop solution still stands.  But it is going to be a lot more expensive.

This topic is 2842 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.