Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Export Re-Import Sample Data

This topic is 2867 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

What would be the best approach to export sample data, that can be re-imported and still retain the necessary parent-child relationships, to provide a clean imported db as development proceeds.

I am developing a db, and have 100 records each in an account, contact and product tables. I will be creating children records for these tables, that I would also like to export, as part of the sample data. During development I will be adding and deleting fields from some of these tables.

I've created the script to delete the specific tables and reset the serial numbers so the clean sample data can be imported, when needed.

I have developed a membership database and wrestled with the FM Import process.

In my app, I use the ScriptMaster plugin :  http://www.360works.com/scriptmaster/  It is priceless and works wonderfully (with single exception on a Mac)

I have about 100 'sample' records and using the 'Import Previous Version' custom function, my users can always import the previous version of my app or revert to the sample data.

I don't reset the serial numbers but instead just use the sn of the imported data.  It seems to work.    Hope this helps.

FileMaker will take care of the importing.  

You should use the ScriptMaster SELECTFILE Function:

SelectFile.png 

The 360Works instructions are complete but can seem obtuse at times.  Just watch the video and 'mess with it'
until it works.

R

This topic is 2867 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.