Adding an image to a global container without shutting down the server

This topic is 6608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

... otherwise, theres no real way you can do it because globals are session specific and will reset to their original value prior to being modified over a network when a user changes them... also they are unique for each user, if you read up on globals in general, even just on fm forums, you will see why you cant do this without closing the file... the solution you saw was probably some sort of work around like the above mentioned...

~genx

Another similar method is to set the graphic into a normal field, as aflgenx says, but create a calculation field equal to the graphic, and set its Storage options to "global." This bypasses the need to set a global at startup, but still allows you to reference it from anywhere without a relationship.

It used to be possible, pre-7, to reset a global on served files by modifying the global, then making a change to a field in Field Definitions, closing the dialog, then changing it back. But I don't think this works anymore.

Boy, this is exactly the problem I’ve been fighting with for three days. I’m working with a database sitting on a FileMaker Pro 7 Server and when I place a graphic into a global container the next time I launch my remote FileMake Pro 7 program and then open-remote the database the global containers are empty. I’ve read through ALL the FileMaker Pro help and there’s not one word mentioned about this happening. I suppose it’s covered in the Server Help…

I’ve tried using a normal field to hold the graphic and then creating a global calculation that’s equal to the normal container but this does not work. It seems that a calculation cannot hold a graphic.

What’s this about restarting the server? Can I get my global graphics loaded permanently if I have the server restarted? Do I have to have the database open with the graphics loaded into their containers before restarting the server?

Thank you for any help,

~mcsebot

Found what I needed....

Global Fields

Global fields are simple, and a great blessing. They have been used as variables in the

past, though there is little need for this particular use now that versions 7 and 8 of FMP

have been released. Still, they are extremely beneficial and there are some vital things

you need to know about them before you start coding:

o Global fields are used when every record in a table requires exactly the same information.

If the value of a field will always be the same for every record in a table and

for every user, then a global field may be the ideal choice. It stores the information

in one place only, but treats it as though it were a field in every record. This eliminates

unnecessary overhead and allows for a much more streamlined database.

o Under some circumstances the data contained in globals can be lost, so beware. For

example, when saving a clone of a file, the data in global fields is NOT saved with

the clone. The global fields are saved empty.

o Each user gets a separate, private set of global fields. Global fields will not retain

their values after shutdown. Many FMP newcomers are puzzled when they reach a

point where they begin to try out their database(s) with multiple users. They discover

that information contained in global fields is not correct when they sign in

again after quitting FMP. This is because there is one master set of globals contained

in the actual file. The information contained in these fields is that which was

placed there by the person who developed the database(s) or who last accessed it as

a single user. When that file is shared so that other users can access it, whether by

just turning on sharing in FMP, or by serving the files with FMP server, each user

gets a fresh set of private global fields that are loaded on startup with whatever information

was originally contained in the master set before the file was shared. This

means that vital information that is different for each user cannot be stored in a

global field. The only way to change the information contained in the master set of

globals is to open the database(s) as a single user (not by accessing them through

FMP server), and then change the information in the global fields.

o DO use global fields to store static information or graphic objects that will never

change and will be the same for every record, such as a company logo that will appear

on each layout.

o DO use global fields as the primary key for a dynamic relationship such as a filtered

portal (the user selects specific criteria which limit the records the portal can show).

o DO NOT use global fields to store user settings. Each user will expect to find the

same settings each time he logs in, but the data in his personal set of globals evaporates

when he logs out.

o DO NOT store constants for calculations in globals if there is any possibility at all

those constants might one day change. For example, you can store the value of pi in

a global field. There is little chance that will change. But do not store constants such

as a tax rate in a global field. We all know what happens to those!

This topic is 6608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.