Scripting and the Separation Model

This topic is 4155 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hopefully I can explain my question well enough for you to understand what I am doing and help.

I have a database that I created for in-house use.  Currently, it lives as a collection of 4 databases (oops)...  A Launch Bar file (for lack of a better term), two Report files (there's my oops...  Should have ensured all reports were done in the same file), and a Data file.

After attending a Filemaker Training Series class in November, I have realized a number of places where I need to clean up my scripting, calculations, and lots of other stuff (the joys of being self-taught!), and as part of that, I am working to integrate the Launch Bar file and the two Report files into a single UI file, while leaving the Data file (mostly) alone.

What I'm wondering about, though, is how to handle the scripts that update the Data file on a daily basis.

I'm working with one handicap in that our main database is in 4D, and I have to import data via an ODBC driver - I don't have a live connection, and from the research I've done, there's not even a way for me to have the server where the files are hosted run these imports, as the ODBC driver doesn't seem to support server-side imports.

Because of that, I have an iCal reminder set up every day with an Applescript that calls and runs a script in my UI file and runs through whichever imports/reports need to be run on that given day of the week.  Most of the imports are run from that UI file as a call to run a script from the Data file.  I'm wondering, though, if adding a TO from the Data file and creating a basic layout in the UI file will allow me to create a script in the UI file and do the import from there, without actually going to the Data file.

Secondly, if this is possible, is it advisable?

Hopefully my question makes sense.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Hello, flutegirl:

Yes, you can do that via an interface file if it is local. I have not tested it from a hosted interface file. I do a secondary import of a specific table occurrence in the interface file that is used for a dashboard summary list. Of course, that T.O. points to the data file, so I keep the script and all logic within the interface (local) file.

There are some scripts and logic in the data file (I run server-side scripts on the data file), but I hope to reduce the non-server logic as I learn more!

- - Mr. Scott

This topic is 4155 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.