Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMSP Accounts ---> Comments functionality

This topic is 2856 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm relatively new to FMP but I wouldn't consider myself a beginner. First, FMSP is a wonderful learning tool and I find myself emulating much of what you have done here so....job well done and thank you. I've been struggling lately trying to emulate the behavior of the comments text field. Lets take Accounts ---> comments. On the accounts layout the first tab is "Comm and Notes". You have a portal based on the foreign key id_accounts in the notes table. This all works well and I can recreate this just fine. To the right of that you have the text field from a different TO...one that has a relationship in the accounts table based on id_current_note to the foreign key id_notes in the notes table. id_current_note seems to be an auto-enter of DATA but nothing is specified at the table level. 

the bottom line is I cannot replicate the functionality of clicking on a row in that portal and having the text field to the right display the correct record. I think I've replicated all of the components including the OnEnter script step of the portal fields which would seem to be the meat and potatoes of controlling that text field. Is there a video that you highlight this functionality or is there something very hidden that a beginner might have missed to make this work.

I like the layout very much and want to incorporate it into my little project. Any insight wold be appreciated

John

Hi John,

Somewhat deep question list this come up on the form.  Without seeing what your doing... I don't have an immediate answer.

2 Thing to help.

GO Through FMSP with Pro Advanced... and turn on Script Debugger and carefully step through the sequence... so you can see how it is working.   Watch the data viewer if your not clear on what value are being set into fields.

The other thing is... that some of the design questions... are answered in our Video training...which focuses on FMSP. www.learningfilemaker.com

Maybe someone here can take your solutions...and remote to you and do some one on one training.   We can do that, but its not a free service.  :-)   

- RC

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

Hi there,

I had this issue also.  Eventually I figured out what I had missed and it might be useful to others.

I hadn't recreated the relationship link between the ID_Note in the Note table and id_current_note in the Projects table.  

The data fields on the right use this Table occurrence - in my case T16l_projects_NOTES||id_note| and not  T16l_projects_NOTES||id_note|  as I had been using initally

Eoin

Exactly Eoin,

There is a script on the related notes that sets a field called "id_current_note" to the ID of the note that was selected. 

The Fields on the right are based on a table with the relationship between id_current_note in wherever you are, in your example, "Accounts", and ID_Notes in the Notes table.

Thanks,

Jonathan Hogle

This topic is 2856 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.