Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Running FM as a service

hairyjim

This topic is 7261 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey cheers for the link.

The setting up of FileMaker as a service was easy using srvany. But unforunatly I have no idea whatsoever as to how I can open my DB's when the service kicks off.

Any ideas anyone. I have a startup db, which when the srevice kicks off I want to open and then in turn will open all the others.

ni further ideas people?

Cheers

Jim

Not sure but try manually stopping the service that runs FileMaker - then go to a command prompt and type net start "filemaker service name" filemakerfilename.fp5 and see what that does - for sure the net start "filemaker service name" will start the service I just don't know if appending a filename will work.

Another option would be to try putting a shortcut to the filemaker file that you want to open in the administrator's startup folder - the question is will it use the running filemaker service or will it simply open a new copy of the filemaker application and ignore the service.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by running filemaker as a service?

• 9 months later...

Hello.

I tried the srvany.exe and followed the steps in the document srvany.wri

So far it works good and I also managed to open the startup.db as described.

From srvany.wri:

Specifying the application to start & its parameters:

Run the Registry Editor (REGEDT32.EXE)B)

-> under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesMyService: create a 'Parameters' key

-> under the above key, create an 'Application' value of type REG_SZ and specify there the full path of your app executable (including the extension). For example:

Application: REG_SZ: D:TOOLSVI.EXE

-> OPTIONAL: under the above key, create an 'AppParameters' value of type REG_SZ and specify the parameters for your app. For Example:

AppParameters: REG_SZ: C:TMPFOO

-> OPTIONAL: under the above key, create an 'AppDirectory' value of type REG_SZ and specify the current directory to use for the app, eg:

AppDirectory: REG_SZ: C:TMP

The AppParameters-key worked fine for me. Filemaker runs as a service and starts the right DB:s.

I start the service manually in the control panel.

One problem is this:

From srvany.wri:

-> set via the Services applet ("Startup..." dialog) of the Control Panel the account for the service. If you need access to the screen & keyboard, you must choose the LocalSystem account and click the "Allow Service to Interact with Desktop", otherwise choose any account and specify the correct logon password. Note that the LocalSystem account doesn't have network access.

I unchecked the "allow Service to interact with desktop" to make the service "invisible".

If i start FMP the normal way there will be a conflict.

I run a Win2000 PIII 500MHz and FMP6.

The service don

Your English is OK for me smile.gif

You can run FMS on nondedicated machine. In fact, if the server is with enough processing power and fastest possible (SCSI) drives, it maybe will not be visible any delays. Especially with Hyperthreading P4.

That part in FM recommendations about dedicating machine for FMS was primarily targeted at Mac OS users.

In deep past I've run as service on single computer with 2x200MHz PII 128MB and NT4 server:

FMS 3

LanFax

WinProxy for firewall and email

Windows primary domain controller

Every user was using shared drive

Accounting data accessed from remote DOS applications

2 modems, fax and Internet leased line

and God knows what else. We didn't have single problem.

20 users never complained.

For FMU you want to use fastest machine with reasonable drive.

• 1 year later...

This topic is 7261 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.