Portals and relationships not working so frustrating

Gunther Stern

This topic is 2658 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am so frustrated after two solid days of working on this really simple join table example.  I am trying to create a little iphone application in which I can quickly track my homeless outreach contacts on the fly.  I have been so frustrated.  I made a lot of progress at one point by just deleting the portal and starting over.  I attached two databases, test which works just the way it is supposed to.  A simple widget model based on something I saw on youtube.  and Client test which is my attempt.  Test works fine.  Client test is very similar with a couple of extra fields including a calculated full name field but nothing significantly different.  Right now the problem is the relationship will not create a new record in the join table.  Maybe I don't even need a join table.  Not sure but the join table was one of my attempts at a solution.  I have been using filemaker since 6 but only sporadically.  I used to be able to create simple solutions on the fly but I just spent the whole weekend trying to get this to work.  I don't have any hair left to pull out!  Help! 

test.fmp12

NewClientTest.fmp12

5 hours ago, Gunther Stern said:

Right now the problem is the relationship will not create a new record in the join table.

From what layout do you want this to happen?  The Client layout has no portal.  The Events layout does and that one properly creates a record in the join table...

• Newbies

I'm sorry, What is not happening is it is not seeing new clients I added on the clients side.  So it only works with the original three I put in.  I've just been staring at it so long I can't remember the current problem.

11 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

From what layout do you want this to happen?  The Client layout has no portal.  The Events layout does and that one properly creates a record in the join table...

Your are right.  I does create a record with the original three "clients"  but when I enter a new client it is not picked up in the dropdown in events so I can't chose them.  I misstated the problem in my original post because I have just starred at this for two full days.  Thanks for looking at it and any advice you might have.

Your "Clients" value list is not set up correctly.

See attached for corrected setup.

Note that the same problem also exists in your other file.

Clients Value List.png

As noted. Original and corrected value lists for Test.fmp12

widgets VL - original.png

widgets VL corrected.png

Edited by BruceR

This topic is 2658 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.