Problems with checkboxes in just one computer on a network

John Link

This topic is 2622 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have FileMaker Pro 12 installed on four computers on my network, and FileMaker Pro Advanced 12 stored on a fifth computer. There is a shared database stored on one of the first four computers. When using the shared database from the fifth computer and I attempt to check any of the checkboxes for the field Events, I see the message shown in the attachment and I am unable to check the checkbox (This behavior occurs only on the fifth computer). If I then do a search, after doing the search I am able to check any of the checkboxes in the previously problematic field. I've restarted the fifth computer and the problematic behavior stills occurs.

Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 11.44.33 AM.png

Edited by John Link

That's a field validation error, check the field definition, validation tab for what rules it enforces; that will be the clue for what is wrong.

How are these files shared?  Through peer-to-peer and 'open remote'?  Are the files in a network share?

Here are the windows that show the validation rules and the sharing of the database.

It seems very strange that the problem happens on only one of the computers, and that it goes away after I perform a search.

I trashed the preferences and the problem persists.

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 1.38.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-13 at 1.35.42 PM.png

Edited by John Link

I noticed the problem only today after I added the value "Salon 3-25-17" to the value list Events. The problem was not on the other four computers but persisted on the fifth computer after I removed "Salon 3-25-17" from the value list.

Here is the Inspector's info for the field Events.

58a201815e9ed_ScreenShot2017-02-13at1_55_43PM.png.c572f7be335865e79df49aa935183e0b.png

Here's a screen shot of the portion of the database where the field Events is displayed.

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 2.01.02 PM.png

From my Time Machine backup I installed the earliest backup (December 2015) I have of FileMaker Pro Advanced 12 and the problem remained.

Edited by John Link

I've discovered that the problem is isolated to the first record of the database. That's why doing a search would allow me to click on a checkbox in the field Events (because after the search I would be looking at a record other then the first). It also explains why the problem initially appeared isolated to one computer.

I copied the first record and then attempted to click a check box in the field Events of the duplicate record. The problem again appears in the duplicate record, so I will create a new record and copy each of the fields from the corrupt record to the new record and see whether the problem persists in the new record.

After copying each of the fields from the corrupt first record to a new record, I am able to check any of the checkboxes in the field Events without an error message. Furthermore, after deleting the corrupt first record, there is no problem with the record that is now the first record (previously the second record).

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Edited by John Link

This topic is 2622 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.