Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Variable number of Fields

NewBoard

This topic is 2531 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am designing a database for the inspection sheets used in our quality lab. Each of our parts has a different number of criteria that they need to be inspected for. This ranges anywhere from 5-15 dimensional requirements. I am wondering if there is anyway in FileMaker to display a varying number of both editable and uneditable fields. So for instance if somebody pulls an inspection sheet for a part with 6 different dimensional requirements, FileMaker will only show 6 uneditable fields describing the dimensions in question, and 6 editable fields for the user to type in their measurement. Then, if somebody pulls an inspection sheet with 10 dimensional requirements, it will display 10 instead.

Thank you for any assistance you all can offer!

I would suggest you use a portal to another table, where each inspected part will have the required number of related records (one for each measurement), according to the type selected by the user.

You can either pre-create the related records when you create the part, or let them be auto-created on-the-fly as the user enters the actual values against a permanent "grid".

This topic is 2531 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.