Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Creating report with a lot of subsummaries and monthly columns - using executesql queries?

This topic is 2517 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

This is my first time posting, and I apologize if this is the wrong place. I've only been filemakering for a few months, so again, apologies if this is a stupid problem.

I could use some advice.

I'm working on a solution that must create monthly reports in the following form:

I've given up trying to bend the summary fields to my will, and began using the following approach:

Make two new tables - Queries and Reports.

In queries table, I have fields for M1, M2, M3, Region, Category, Subcategory and four result fields (M1, M2, M3 and YTD.) I also have foreign key into the reports table.

Then in reports table, I portal into the Queries table.

When report is run, a bunch of queries in queries table are created. The Results are populated via ExecuteSQL expressions.

My question is mainly this:
Is this too backwards? I feel like maybe this is too weird of an approach and I"m just missing something simple about reporting and creating summaries?

Thanks!

Reports using sub summaries is a pretty standard way of reporting.  You didn't say what you tried and how you tried it.  

If you want your report to look more like a spreadsheet, look up/Google 'FileMaker cross tab report'.

If you could post a sample file, maybe someone could help.

7 hours ago, Rachel said:
I'm working on a solution that must create monthly reports in the following form:

I don't understand your required format: why are there 3 months (and not 2, or 6, or ...12)?

I also could not understand the approach you have described.

--
P.S. You can (and should) attach pictures directly to your posts here.

Edited by comment

This topic is 2517 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.