Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How much RAM do you assign for FileMaker 16 Server?

ggt667

This topic is 2410 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

How much RAM do you assign for FileMaker? Is it beneficial to have more than 256GB of RAM?

Edited by ggt667

My newest SuperMicro servers can hold up to 3TB of RAM, I only filled 1 of them with 512GB so far. I usually configure them with 1.5TB of MLC ( 3x 512GB )and 8 TB( 16x 512GB ) of regular SSDs

Edited by ggt667

What is not RAM? http://www.zfsbuild.com/2010/04/15/explanation-of-arc-and-l2arc/ all 3 items below is in essence RAM, only the 256GB is conventional RAM as your standard concept of computer memory while ZIL is swap space-"like" hence MLC SSDs and the workspace is also SSDs 

The machine has 256 GB RAM; example:

$ prtconf | grep Mem
Memory size: 245745 Megabytes

1.5 TB ZIL

8 TB workspace

Edited by ggt667

If you read the post thoroughly; I mention all the storage in the box. I'll narrow this down for you: There is 256GB of conventional RAM in the box I have set up, I have assigned 32 GB RAM for the node that runs FileMaker Server so far, my question is it beneficial to increase this amount?

FYI: Newer servers have room for up to 6TB RAM: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10QRH_.cfm

Edited by ggt667

Is it beneficial to increase the amount of available memory? I'm not asking if it's needed at this point in time. How much memory will FileMaker 16 Server benefit from?

My options are 1) to run only FileMaker 16 Server on this node alone, or 2) share this node with other VMs.

The reason for asking is that earlier versions of FileMaker Server only benefitted from increasing the available RAM to a given number 16GB? or 32?

Edited by ggt667

This topic is 2410 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.