Find isn't working properly

This topic is 2374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a field in file A, say, called z

I have a field in file B which has, as one of it's fields, fileA::z

I have other file A fileds showing in File B as well and have no problem. With filed z, when I do a find for the word "Both", I get 20 records. In reality there are only 4 records in File A with the value "Both" in field z. Out of the 20 I have the 4, but then I have the other 16 with other words or blank.

Can't figure this out. The other finds on the other fields work fine.

Any help?

Two files or two tables? 

Assuming two tables in one FileMaker file, when you find on a related field, you are finding the number of records in the current table that have that value in a related field. So, in your case, you have 20 records in table B that have "both" in their related z field.

Posting a file (clone is fine) would be more helpful. 

Two separate files. Not one file with a related table. A reason for that. Anyway, file A has a table with five records that have the word "Both" in field z.

In File B the table has a field that refernces FileA::z so I can now see the field z in my second file for each record. So here, too, there are only 5 records that show "Both" in the field z

When I do a search in File B looking for "Both" in the field z, I get 20 records, five of which do show "Both", but the rest either blank or something other than "Both". It's the weirdest thing because I also have other fields like x that show in File B from file A and the finds work fine on those gields.

I must be doing something wrong but it beats me.

This topic is 2374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.