Value list in join table not working

Lea Alexander

This topic is 2326 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have 3 tables: Person, Session, and Contract where Contract is a join table.  

I am in the Session table layout, in a Contract portal.  I have a field – Trainer Name in the Contract table – where I want to select the name of a person from a list of people in the Person table.  The Trainer Name field is a dropdown list using values from the Trainer value list “Person::__k_p_Person and Person::Name_Full”. I have tried numerous configurations with table instances and I either cannot alter the Trainer Name field at all, or I get a “?”.  

After the Contract record is created, I want it to show up in a Contract portal on the person’s record in the Person table.  

Each person will teach multiple sessions.
Each session has multiple trainers.
I have foreign keys in the Contract table for Person and Session. 

portal.thumb.png.1485f7f5ba5ec8bb8ad3638c4926cf88.png

relationship.png

I changed the "trainer name" field to the fk_person field.  I think the problem I'm having is linking the Contract record to the Person table.  I am still just getting a "?" on the dropdown.  The Contract table records are being created through a portal on a Session table layout so fk_Session is being automatically entered.  But how does the fk_Person field get populated so that the Contract data is linked to Session and Person?

Create a new TO of the Person table named PersonList and relate it to Session. If you want to see every person in the Person table in your dropdown, use the X relation operator between any fields. If you want to only see a subset of the Person table, create a relationship which filters the list. Then create the value list using only related fields in PersonList.

• Plus1 1

Thanks Doughemi.  I created the PersonList TO and linked Session pk to PersonList/session fk.   And the field using the dropdown is Contract::Person kf.  Dropdown still not working.  Which fields do I connect and what field should I use in the Contract table - Person kf or Trainer Name?

Really appreciate your help. 

"Dropdown still not working" doesn't give us a lot to go forward on.

• Does the dropdown show the list of persons?
  • What does or doesn't the dropdown do?
  • Are you creating a new Contract record, or does one already exist, and you're adding a new person to it?
  • Could you describe  the workflow you are modeling?

The drop down shows "3 ?".   "3" is the pk of the first person record

The drop down shows "3 ?" on existing Contract records and new Contract records. 

I have imported Session records and Person records.  I am creating the Contract records via a portal on a Session layout.

Progress...I can get a list of Person pks also displaying values from second field Name_full .  However, it sorts in pk order, rather than by last name. 

If I select - show values from second field only I get  "?" in the dropdown.

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is 2326 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.