Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Use computer name instead of ip address

This topic is 2336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I’m running my FM database on a laptop with FMP. 

I sometimes connect with an iPad or another laptop using FM Go or FMP.
I take it to a few different locations.
The host laptop gets a different ip address each time I arrive in a new location and connect to a different network.
I see that I can also connect with the COMPUTERNAME or COMPUTERNAME.local in place of the ip address.
So I’m thinking this is the way to solve the problem of the changing ip address.
Is there any problem or drawback with using the COMPUTERNAME or COMPUTERNAME.local on a local network in place of the ip address?
Does that change if hosted with FMS?
Edited by GC GYM
typo

20 hours ago, GC GYM said:
Is there any problem or drawback with using the COMPUTERNAME or COMPUTERNAME.local on a local network in place of the ip address?

Nope. Those computernames or dns names are resolved to IP addresses before the client attempts to connect. It's how pretty much all network communication happens.

It changes with FMS in the sense that your server is unlikely to travel with you. So you need to be able to access the server remotely, from outside the network that the server lives in. That means opening ports on the firewall/router that protects the network/filemaker server.
On the iPad/laptop you'd then use a FQDN (ie fms.mydomainonthegoldcoast.com.au) to connect to the server.
Edited by OlgerDiekstra
Submitted before finished

This topic is 2336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.