Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Always Verify backup integrity?

sal88

This topic is 2270 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all

I have three backup schedules: hourly, daily and weekly.

To reduce any lag experienced by end users during the day I am wondering if I should do away with the verification step for the hourly one, which would speed up the backup.

I would keep it on the other two and would be emailed by FMS if there were an issue.

But if there were a crash and I wanted to restore from the hourly one, how do I know the data integrity is OK?

Obviously if there were an issue I would use the older daily one, but that is a risk I'd be willing to take if it sped things up.

Thanks

I think your idea is OK. Set the server to not open the files automatically. That way, if there's a crash, you can restart the machine and open up the files in FileMaker Pro (client) to do a consistency check before hosting them. But even that is optional if you're talking about restoring from a backup vs. the crashed live files, because the consistency check would run on the daily backup so you'd find out then if there was an issue. Just depends how high the stakes are for you. If they're that high you probably should be running progressive backups -- maybe instead of the hourly.

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is 2270 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.