Server Maintenance This Week. ×

emailing from filemaker database

suzjqz.productions

This topic is 2277 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I really need someone to show me how to do this! All I want to do is send an email to everyone in my database, but just have it say, "Dear ___________" and fill in the blank with that person's name, put a "," after the name, go to the next line, grab the text that's in my Email_Msg1 field, for each person in my found set.

So I need it to insert the record name in the text, and then I can have it go get that, put it in Final_Email field from a calculation and send them! Sounds easy.. but this is my calculation for the Container field, "Final_Email" and it's just producing two ??  It is not getting the contents of those fields, and not even printing the "Dear". It doesn't matter if I take out the "Dear" and just have the GetFields .. it just doesn't work.

"Dear " & GetField ( Fullname ) & " , " & ¶ & GetField ( EMailMsg_1 )

I have this in the Calculated Value area but it is not working.

What am I doing wrong?

5a6fdfe78b48d_ScreenShot2018-01-29at6_59_10PM.thumb.png.5d812fbfe1ca4649f285f00be4e696cd.png

That's usually something we script. Please red this: http://www.filemaker.com/help/13/fmp/en/html/scripts_ref2.37.70.html

Not sure I understand what you're trying to do with the container field. But the container field has to contain files, not text. And you don't need any calculations for this, just a script.

Hi suzjqz.productions,

I moved your question into its own thread. Lots of changes in FileMaker since 2004. It is always better to create your own thread even if your need seems to be the same as an older thread.  That way you can explain in your own words your situation.

Lee

This topic is 2277 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.