Server Maintenance This Week. ×

360Deploy Solution Bundle and user accounts

Andreas T.

This topic is 2145 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I’m considering the solution bundle for a vertical market solution. One major issue looks to be the handling of user accounts.

The various deployments all have lots of different internal Filemaker user accounts that are managed from within each solution by the local admins.

How can one migrate those user accounts from the production version or is it something that can be recreated after the import?

Advice welcomed.

• 2 weeks later...

Andreas,

Apologies for the delay.

Currently 360Deploy does not handle the transfer of user accounts. The accounts will need to be recreated in the post import script. Perhaps an extra table that stores the usernames and passwords can be created on the production file and development file and populated right before the import process. That way, the account data will be imported during the deploy process and then the accounts can be created accordingly in the post-import action script using the data from those tables. Your solution will have to adequately handle the security of this information. Also, I would recommend only populating this table with the account information right before the deployment and removing the information from the tables after the accounts are created in the post-import action script for further security.

If you have any questions about this or other aspects of 360Deploy please feel free to give us a call at 770-234-9293. 

Thank you, 

Zach 

Thank you, Zach.

I suppose that would be a feasible, although not ideal, solution.

One would need to delegate passwords to users, keeping them in a separate secure local file. Users would not be able to change their own passwords in the solutions.

• 3 months later...

Now with 360Deploy 2, do you support transferring of user accounts?

Seems likely as you now use the new Data Migration Tool which support this, but your material does not mention this as far as I can see.

On 6/7/2018 at 1:15 PM, Andreas T. said:

Now with 360Deploy 2, do you support transferring of user accounts?

Seems likely as you now use the new Data Migration Tool which support this, but your material does not mention this as far as I can see.

I've been testing version 2, but it does not appear to support the transfer of user accounts.  I created a new user account and privilege in the 'DEV' version of the 360Deploy demo solution.  Once deployed, the new privilege set had been created, but the account had not.

28 minutes ago, tv_kid said:

I've been testing version 2, but it does not appear to support the transfer of user accounts.  I created a new user account and privilege in the 'DEV' version of the 360Deploy demo solution.  Once deployed, the new privilege set had been created, but the account had not.

I'm thinking it has to be the other way around. Have you tested if accounts in the production version are migrated to the dev version with the data?

I think I've been confusing myself!  

New accounts created in the production version before update are present in the production version afterwards.  

I was thinking of the -ignore_accounts flag in the migration tool.

Just now, tv_kid said:

I think I've been confusing myself!  

New accounts created in the production version before update are present in the production version afterwards.  

I was thinking of the -ignore_accounts flag in the migration tool.

That is great news and solves the one issue I had with the product. Thank you.

This topic is 2145 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.