Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Displaying Quiz Answers - conditionally

This topic is 2252 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am creating an iPad solution for quizzing people on backgammon positions.  I am trying to figure out a way of reflecting the users "Mastery" of each problem -- the idea being that they will take the quiz repeatedly over time, gradually getting them right more consistently.  I thought about just showing a % of Right answers divided by Attempts -- but this number wouldn't change (improve markedly after several attempts.  If they got a problem wrong the first two times, and then correct 3 times in a row, the progressive % would be 0, 0, 33, 50, 60 -- and 60% doesn't suggest the degree of mastery one deserves for getting it right for the 3 most recent attempts in a row.

One thing I'd like to be able to do is display up to 5 of the most recent attempts.  What I'm envisioning is something like a row of 5 Radio Buttons representing the most recent 5 attempts.  Before the first attempt they would all be grey in color. If the user gets the problem right, the right hand circle would turn Green. On a second attempt say they get it wrong -- that first circle would turn Red, and the second circle would turn Green.  With each subsequent attempt, the previous results would get shoved to the left, with the most recent response reflected in the right-most circle (which perhaps I would make a bit bigger than the others).

I figure I do this by creating a field for each of the 5 responses and then just script a process for updating the values after each attempted problem, and use conditional formatting to display the appropriate result color.

But . . . Conditional formatting won't turn the actual Radio Button's color -- it's always black, so only the accompanying text would change color.  I can't just use graphic circles, because conditional formatting doesn't work for noon-field objects as far as I can see.  I guess I could just  create a Display field with a global value of "O" in it, copy it 5 times and apply conditional formatting to it according to the Right/Wrong/Empty values in each of the 5 fields -- maybe just altering the 'Fill' color . . . but then it would be a sure field box with a O inside it - - not exactly the nice graphical effect I was hoping to achieve with something like Radio Buttons. -- I'd rather it didn't look like Text, but rather like a row of lights.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could go about this?   Either how to achieve what I've described, or an alternate approach to displaying a user's "Mastery" of each problem?  I should perhaps mention I'll also want to be able to sort the problems or search for them on the basis of mastery level -- something I can figure out a way to calculate by looking at up to 5 most recent attempts.

You should try it with button bars. That will not only let you conditionally format the text, but also the icon of the button -- but possibly even more useful, you can calculate the text of the button, and use text formatting in the calculation. You wouldn't necessarily even display the field itself, just use the buttons to set the response.

• Thanks 1

I've got the button bar set up and formatted -- looks and works great!  Thanks for that suggestion!

Now I have a calculation bug that's stumping me.  In addition to displaying the most recent responses, I want to calculate a Mastery Score, which will be a weighted %.  The most recent response is worth 5, the penultimate one worth 4, etc. down to the 5th most recent answer worth 1 point.   So, to get the Mastery % I want to add up all the points and divide it by the total possible points according to how many times the user attempts the problem.  I've set up a Calc that seems like it should work, but it gets the denominator wrong.  The numerator appears to work okay, but the denominator is always 1+2+3+4+5 = 15 as though the user has made 5 attempts (so if he HAS made 5 attempts, it calculates properly.

I have the 5 answer fields automatically set to the word 'Empty' when I create a problem record. If the user gets it right, the field changes to "Right" -- if he flunks, it is set to "Wrong".

Here's the calc: And a sample result.

Probably something simple I'm missing?

Calc.jpg

Result1.jpg

Result2.jpg

This topic is 2252 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.