MSPJ

File Access Protection and Import

Hi - I'm developing a business solution to be hosted on FM Server.  It will be hosted on Soliant Cloud.  This is my first time developing for Server.  I read Steven and Wim's whitepaper on FM 16 security, which was very helpful.

In the past, when I've created upgrades to my solution, I've imported data from the previous version into the new one. Each update is a modified version of the previous file. 

I read about the benefits of using File Access Protection. My solution is a single file solution so I can basically exclude any other file having access - except I'm not sure what impact that will have on import from previous versions.  I assume both files will have the same ID - but not sure if that means that FM will see the older version as trusted or not. 

Thanks!

File Access controls access to the schema. It won't stop you from importing data -- which you need an authorized account to do anyway.

Thanks Fitch!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Pavlk
      I've attached two files. The first one is INVOICE, that is generated by every establishment when you purchase, and is in xml format.
      The second one is XSLT file, that is provided by government fiscal institution and is used to "translate" xml.
      PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: when I try to decode xml using attached xslt scheme on any online xml-converter website the output looks fine. BUT when importing to Filemaker, I receive an error: "XML parsing error: invalid document structure".

I would appreciate any help with the issue. Thanks.
      XML input.xml
      XSLT scheme.xslt
    • By cbum
      Our institution is now requiring PHI-containing databases to log not just modifications to records, but to log every access/viewing of any record. They want to be able to respond to the question "Who has looked at my medical record, even with no change to the record?".
      I am not aware how to achieve this with FM, do any of the add-on programs have such features?
      I am facing the forced elimination of a critical database, built over 15 yrs, if this cannot be achieved.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    • By wedgeman
      We are working on a process for passing certain info nuggets out of a solution (FMP 13) in an encrypted method.
      For various reasons a version upgrade isn't feasible. So the plan is to encrypt the nuggets, then pass them into a format for transport.
      Currently, we're using Applescript to pass the particular fields into an AES-256-CBC encryption process in a calculated Applescript step, as follows :

The problems which concern me here:
      1. The password is "traveling" into Terminal in plaintext.   Is there a way this can be viewed during the process (a 'ps' or some other method)??
      2. Is there a better method to accomplish this without running as an echo?

I've tried various flavors of this process (successful encryption & transport, etc), but am most concerned about the potential vulnerability from within OSX.. I've run various flavors, then attempted to grep for any of the password strings in log files and Library/Application Support/ folders, but haven't found anything...
      Is this an unfounded issue, or should I be going a different direction?
    • By kolvorok
      I'd get some problems with date formats after installing FMS 15, and I'm trying to solve it by importing to a clone of the original database. But two tables has no layouts and I can't find a way to import these tables without making a layout in the clone or adding a table when importing. The last seems to be the simplest, but how will the relationships behave?
    • By Visionjcv
      Hi, I've just upgraded to Filemaker Server 16 and installed an SSL certificate for client/server communications. However, I am confused by the documentation when it comes to communication between the Server and the Filemaker XML API. We're currently making these calls from another server over http, and would like to ensure they are secure.
      I've attempted changing these requests to be over https but this seems to fail - I haven't investigated where exactly (if it's a limitation of the PyFilemaker Python library we're using or the fact that the connection is not actually secure).
      Would enabling it for clients also provide security on the API side? Could anyone provide some guidance on where I can look for information on this?
      Thanks in advance!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.