Send file to iPad via Messages?

This topic is 2047 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to figure out a convenient way to send a Filemaker file to a friend's iPad with minimum fuss.  This person does not use his iPad for email.  I see I can send such a file via iMessage, just as I would a photograph.  

What I'm not seeing is how to get the file from the iPad Message app into FilemakerGo. When I send the file, I see it there in the iMessage window, but the only option seems to be 'Copy'  -- is there a way to "paste" the file into FilemakerGo?  

Having received the file in Messages, is there a place where the file "lives" on the iPad -- and where I could move it over into Go?

I'm hoping there's a way I can do this without asking the person too download it on a desktop machine, plug in the iPad, and use iTunes to move it over. Is there?

• 2 months later...

Any help on this one?  It seems crazy not to be able to deliver Filemaker files to Go via messages . . .  here's a picture of what I'm seeing -- the file downloading (progress pie chart), and above it, what the file looks like when it's done downloading.   The file does not trigger Filemaker Go, as it does when I send the file via Airdrop . . . and I can't even figure out where it "downloads" TO?  There's nothing in my iPad 'Files' app . . . This is really putting a crimp in a project. 

ipad.jpg

I've had to deal with moving files on iPad around as well. I've always admired the Apple hardware and and software design. I don't agree with the restrictions they place on endusers and how iOS devices are locked down. This article (though from 2012) probably clarifies some. http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/19/send-any-file-to-an-ios-device-from-mac-os-x-with-imessage/

I don't know if Apple has changed this behaviour in its latest iOS (though I wouldn't expect so). It's to do with the sandboxing Apple uses in iOS.

It would appear you are out of luck with iMessage in terms of transmitting files. You can send any file using iMessage, you just can't do anything with a lot of them once they hit your iOS device. How useful is that?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Yeah this is strange.  For example you can send PDF's, images, MS Office docs etc and interact with them there in Messages or drag them into other areas using drag and drop functionality in iOS 11 and newer.  Why would FileMaker not have a handler built into iOS when its an Apple company?

Baffling.

• Like 1

I don't think it's FileMaker, I think iMessage needs to be able to support/recognize the filetype in order to do something with it, or maybe its a combination.

For example, I have DSCloud on a lot of iPads, which is a client for Synology NAS's running the DSCloud backend, much like dropbox. From the DSCloud app I can export fmp12 files to FMGo no probs.

However, if I use a Sandisk iXpand usb stick, I can't export the same fmp12 file to FMGo.

• Newbies

Yeah what I mean is that as part of the same company it's pretty unbelievable that Apple & FileMaker have not worked this out together.  

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

Sometimes we need to transfer files from PC or Mac to our Apple mobile And I am trying to figure out a convenient way to send a small file to a friend's iPad with minimum fuss. Errors such as file too large to send via mail keep popping up But it is low in size. I don't What's happening with my iDevice. I also contact Apple Customer Service Number and follow his step to try different ways of sending a file. But still, I can't send. Can anyone suggest me any solution? 

This topic is 2047 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.