Two Separate Count Total Fields, With/Without Omit Find?

This topic is 2218 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, everyone, here is what I want to do today.

I’ve learned how to create a field that provides a running total of my movies/records. Thanks to everyone here for teaching me how to do that.

I’ve also learned how to perform a find that omits duplicates of my movies/records. When I perform that find, the running total field displays the total number of my records, minus the omitted duplicates. When I select SHOW ALL, the absolute total number of records is displayed.

Again, thank you, everyone, for that.

What I want to do now might be considerably more complicated. Here is what I want to do:

I want two completely separate fields in my footer. I want a field that shows the total running count of records, AND I want a separate field that shows the running count with the duplicates omitted.

Is this possible? Can I somehow set up two fields so that one is NOT affected by a find, but the other is? And if it is possible, can I put them in the footer?

If this is not possible, or not practical, then how about this...how about I create a button in the footer, that switches back and forth between displaying the total running count, and displaying the count minus the omitted duplicates?

Will something like this require writing a script? I’m a little more comfortable working with scripts than I was. What steps do I need to work with to get this to happen? I’d prefer displaying two separate fields, but if a button is easier, I’ll use it.

I’m attaching a copy of my database to this messages. The database, of course, is a work in progress and a rough draft.

In your opinion, do you think what I want to do is worth the effort?  

Thanks again! PT

Filemaker Database Test 2.fmp12

Lee, 

Thanks for replying and for the tweaks.  I had a feeling you'd come through for me.

Instead of doing my work for me, I was hoping you'd just explain what I'd have to do, so I could learn what to do.  But now that the fields are in front of me, I can see what's necessary to do.

I do have a couple of questions.

1.  I'm not sure I understand the difference between Get ( FoundCount )  and Get ( TotalRecordCount ).  Can you elaborate on what the subtleties are between these two things?

2.  The Dup Count calculation field was what I was looking for.  That's an eye-opener for me.  I am not sure I understand the difference between the Summary field and the Dup Count field.  Can you elaborate on what these two fields are doing that are different?

Attached is another copy of the db, representing the way I would like the the body and footer to look.  Thanks again.

Jd

Filemaker Database Test 3 with Footers.fmp12

Lee (and everyone else reading),

I just learned how to use the Tab control, and that's going to be a huge help for me.

I have other data I want to work with, that I haven't put in my movie database yet.  It will be similar to what's in there now, though.

So, I created a test tab layout, with four sections:  Movies, Duplicates, Foreign, Silent.

You can probably figure out where I'm going with this.  The Duplicates, Foreign, and Silent tabs will contain similar data:  How many foreign movies, total number of movies minus Foreign.

How many silent movies, total number of movies minus Silents.

I'm also considering having a Percentage field for each section.  For example, for Foreign:  Total number of movies, Total number of Foreign films, Total number of movies excluding Foreign, Percentage of Foreign.

Your revised version of my database will be a big help to me when creating these fields.  Thanks so much.

I do have a question about tabs, but it's minor.   Which section of this forum would be the best place to talk about tabs?  I may have to create a button bar, instead of tabs, if I want each tab a different color.  I don't think you can change the color of them separately, can you?  It's all one object.  Maybe a button bar would allow that?

Filemaker Database Test 4 with Tabs.fmp12

Edited by Peterteneldas

Hi Peter,

1 hour ago, Peterteneldas said:

Instead of doing my work for me, I was hoping you'd just explain what I'd have to do, so I could learn what to do.  But now that the fields are in front of me, I can see what's necessary to do.

I try to see if this is what the member wants to do. I thought this would be the case with you because of how you were asking your questions. That is the reason I put the different functions on my last reply file.

Get(FoundCount) The number of records in the current found set.

Get(TotalRecordCount) The total number of records in the current table.

Dup Count Is the sum of all of the checkboxes with the entry of "1" in them.

Summary is a running total of the Dup Count field (Double click on the field, and see how it is used (Total of, Running Total))

If you have the time to learn more about FileMaker, I recommend by Matt Petrowsky https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC92MpDPgdr-xEn3JRUAmZOQ.

Lee

Lee, 

I've been watching several FileMaker videos on You Tube.    I just finished watching one on setting up button bars.  Now, I've learned how to create tabs and button bars, and have decided tabs are more in tune with what I want to do.  But thank you for the links.

I think the tabs are going to be a big help.

I have watched the videos too, but they are presented in a discombobulated sort of way. Some are right-on and some are really hard to follow.

Matt's series starts at the beginning and works through the different parts of FileMaker, functions, relationships, layout objects etc. 

Yes, it requires a lot of time, but you will gain a lot of knowledge along the way.

Lee 

I agree some are really hard to follow.  I'm not really new to databases, but I'm by no means an expert with them.  I've designed a few databases in Access (sorry, it's what I had at the time), so I understood some concepts.  I really like FileMaker more than Access.  I've already picked up a lot from reading documentation and watching videos--even the mediocre ones.  It took me only a few minutes to learn how to create tabs and button bars, and it only took me a few seconds to see which function I'd be more comfortable with.  That's just one example.

Working with Value Lists, in my opinion, is far, far easier with FM than Access.  Anyway, you know I'll be posting more questions in the future, so thank you again for your patience with me.  

This topic is 2218 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.