Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMS 17 - changed OS support, implications

This topic is 2170 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Currently, I'm running a FM development server (FDS) on a WHS2011 machine (based on Server 2008).  This has been working fine.  From what I read, FMS 17 will no longer work on Server 2008 based platforms, so I'm assuming WHS 2011 will not work.  

I figure I have a few options -

1) upgrade to something like Win Server Essentials 2016 that will support FMS 17 - a lot more expensive, may require new hardware, more hassle, and overkill for my needs

2) Consider the possibility of a Win 10 Pro -based machine to run it.  I know that officially FMS is not supported on Win 10, but I've seen that people have been running FMS 16 on Win 10 Pro systems, so unless this changes with FMS 17, that might still be an option.

3) Upgrade to FM client 17, but stick with version 16 of the development server, since from what I've read that will work and none of the changes to FMS in 17 are necessary or even desirable for me.  If I understand what I've read correctly, the new features in 17 Advanced are dependent on the client version and should still work on files hosted in FMS 16.  

I'm leaning towards 3, but would value any thoughts from other folks, especially if I'm missing any key issues.

Thanks,

Michael

This topic is 2170 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.