User created window control

This topic is 2143 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a window, DPD, based on a table in a file, Sales Items. I am surprised that a GTTR going to a different layout in the same database takes me to the DPD window and not the parent db window. I assume this is intended behaviour?

Does this mean that I have to replace all GTTRs in that database with a script that includes a 'Select Window' script step?

Windows are not based on tables. Table occurrences (TOs) are based on tables, and layouts are based on TOs. The term is not GTTR, it's GTRR (go to related record). I'm not sure what you mean by "parent db window" -- is there more than one db? Do you mean the window you started from? Or the new window?

I'm not quite sure I understand what's happening in your scenario. You've selected "Show in new window" maybe? You generally don't need 'Select Window' but you might if you're targeting a different file. 

I didn't explain clearly enough. I'll try again.

Table 'DPD' is in file Sales Items. The DPD layout is used in a window 'DPD' created with the New Window script step.

When using the DPD window it is on the DPD layout.

If the last action performed in the file Sales Items used the window DPD then a subsequent call to GTRR using a table other than DPD uses the DPD window , not the window of the parent file** , Sales Items. 

This may well be normal behaviour but means that GTRR script steps have to be followed by a Select Window to work as intended. I hope I am missing something.

** 'parent file' I'm using to mean the file containing the table DPD.

When going to related records using a layout in another file, FileMaker will use the front-most window of the target file. If there's potential for multiple windows of that file to be open, then yes, you'll need to specify which one you want.

In fact, you'll need to Select Window *before* you GTRR, not after. Or, you could specify 'New Window' in the GTRR step, but what happens after that is something you'd want to think about.

This topic is 2143 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.