Schema for Finds performed through a portal

Rich S

This topic is 2028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greets, all:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how to enable users to perform Finds when the values are stored in a child table. The attached is a portal with two fields, KeywordMarker and KeywordText; the former is used as Boolean field to store 1s and 0s, and the latter is to capture Keyword text. The idea is to have users tick the KeywordMarker field that incorporates a button that fires a script to toggle the contents of that field (to 1 or 0, represented by an X or null). The button would be placed (inside/outside?) the portal where another (radio button) field would have two options for the users to choose, Exact (for exact find of the parent records that contain only the ticked values and none else), or Wide which would pull up all parent records that have the ticked keywords an any other keywords that happen to be recorded for the parent record. A Find would then look for the 1s in KeywordMarker to create the found set. (Using Contrain afterward, if an Exact find is chosen.)

Originally, I had a single, checkbox'd, Keyword field in the parent record that users would tick to select the different values but the they were limited by number (since a checkbox'd field can't expand to accommodate additional values), and I read somehwere that performing "exact" and "wide" finds would be problematic using a single field containing many values, hence the reason why I went the child, one-to-many table route.

So, am I on the right track and if so, how do I pull it off? 

Cheers,

Rich

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 05.42.04 PM.png

I would use a card layout with global fields for the find.  You can also have fields with checkboxes for exact, wide, cancel and any other parameters.

Then a 'Find' button would gather all the criteria and logic and perform the find.

Values stored in a child table can also be put into a value list.

I thought I was going down the right path but I confounded myself with the Filtered portal's filter calculation. What I want the Filtered portal to show is all the unique values used so far in the ValueToDisplay field stored in the ChildTable, and for those values to appear in the Filtered portal for all the parent records.

Did I mess up the tables' schema, the filter, both...? I suspect a global field has to be used somewhere, but I'm not sure where. *sigh*

Thanks in advance for your help!

test.fmp12

This topic is 2028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.