Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multiple Company Shared Database Anchor Buoy

cat traveller

This topic is 2013 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone, 

Not sure if this is even the right subcategory, feel free to hint.

For several years, I continued to enhance our company database as we grow and collect data, invoices, articles, clients, companies.

Now we opened a second company that I would like to integrate into the existing one. We want to share our contacts, companies and articles but not our invoices, bills and several other things. 

The database is build on the anchor buoy model, some selector connector methodology as well.

Each user has a company code in his profile. 

In my ideal world depending on the user, his database connections would look at his own "invoices" or "bills" records file. But that of course is not possible, right?

Is there a way to archieve this at all or am I stuck to record with a company code "flag" field?

Thanks for your thoughts

Starting in FileMaker 16 you can set external file references dynamically. So you could for example host one file that is your shared info, and when the user opens that it chooses the data source for the invoice file via startup script. See:

https://community.filemaker.com/docs/DOC-8174

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Ouch FItch, 

that is a little embarrassing that I never came upon this. Its probably when you are so locked on developing stuff for a single company only that you forget about the big picture.

Well, thanks. 

This topic is 2013 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.