Server Maintenance This Week. ×

'Tools' Bar persists in Custom Set?

Wickerman

This topic is 2054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm creating a user log-in with minimal access to menus.  I've created a custom menu based on the 'File' menu for some essential functions, adding a few commands like "New Window" that I want staffers to be able to use.  I've created a Custom Menu Set called 'Staff' and have a script step setting it as the default menu set when a person logs in on an account with 'Staff' privileges.   Everything seems to work okay with all that.

EXCEPT . . .  the 'TOOLS' menu shows up along with the File and Help menus.   How come?   It seems really peculiar to have the Script debugger and Data viewer and Developer Utilities on offer there for people who aren't even allowed to create a new record via menus.

I don't know if this is related to another thing I've always been puzzled by -- when I'm creating a new Custom Menu, FIlemaker allows me to base it on an existing menu . . . but not all the standard menus are available to choose.  Why not?  If my questions reveal that there's something about Filemaker menus I'm mis-conceiving,  I'd love to be enlightened, in addition to learning how to get rid of that 'Tools' menu!

custommenuss.jpg

Probably to avoid hoisting ourselves on our own petards... without the Tools menu you'd have no way to switch back to standard menus.

I think the Format menu is not listed because it only contains sub-menus, but yeah I think it and Window should be there, it's weird. Scripts, it kind of makes sense not to list since that's already all custom commands.

• Like 1

This topic is 2054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.