Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Copy for FileMaker

This topic is 2046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am running version 17.0.2 - in demo mode for not but we will a buy a licence today.

In the bottom pane I have a list of fields for a table and would like to get that list inside a FileMaker file. When I right-click on the list - all items are selected - I get a choice Calle Copy for FIleMaker. What do I get when picking this menu choice, and how can I paste in FileMaler ?

Thanks

Hi Gilles,

There really isn't enough information in your question, however, without seeing the file, you can copy and paste in FileMaker. However, the preferred way is to use the script step, Set Field so as to preserve the clipboard.

Why not attach a copy of your file. Here is the link to Anatomy of a good topic - Guidelines that I referred to in my Private Message this morning. 

Lee

Hi Lee,

here is a screen shot from FMPerception:

image.thumb.png.a991b679e4b1331430af3ad617fb378f.png

On the top pane, I selected a file, a Table and ask for the list of fields for that Table. That List is displayed in the bottom pane. Then I selected all the fields and right clicked. As you can see one of the menu items is 'Copy for FileMaker'. My question is what's the use of that menu item ? Is the copy going into the clipboard or somewhere else ? And how can I paste the result inside FileMaker ? What I have done for now was to export to a .CSV file and imported this file into a new table in FileMaker.

Thanks

image.png

Gilles,

Since you copied table fields, you would have to paste them where table fields would go.  So, go to your FileMaker database, Manage > Database, and then go to the Fields tab for the table you'd like to add those fields to.  Click in the big field list area, and then Command-V to paste.  All those fields should then appear in that table, just as if you had copied them all from within a FileMaker table using the FileMaker interface itself.

Note that the definitions of some of the calculations may not carry over due to context issues (again, as if you had used FileMaker to copy/paste), so double check them before you make use of them.

Does that answer your question?

Dave,

yes it answers my question. So this menu choice is used to copy what's in the bottom pane as FileMaker objects to a FileMaker file. In this case that would be fields definitions.

Is there some way to mark your post as the correct answer ?

Edited by Gilles Plante

Gilles,

Absolutely correct.  It works with anything that FileMaker can copy and paste, so it works for tables, fields, scripts, script steps, layout objects, value lists, custom functions, and custom menus/menus sets/menu items.

I don't think there's a way to mark something correct in this forum system.  I'm just happy I could answer your question.

This topic is 2046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.