Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How do I use xsl

Zoracle

This topic is 7926 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm having problems formatting my database using xsl. Even when I use css, it doesn't do it correctly. But when I use xsl, it doesn't work at all. I get the message:

"Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. "

I'm using the url with the tags in it like this: "-styletype=text/xsl&-stylehref=http://192.168.254.205/xsl1.xsl"

What could be wrong with how I'm doing this? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Zach

Hi,

You can't use XSL with the web companion (vs CSS you can). The XSL transformation will only work (for the moment) when exporting / importing to XML data.

Sorry, I was also a requestor for this option ... better luck with FM 6.5

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

What do you mean by "exporting and importing XML data"? That's what I'm trying to do. Am I going about it the wrong way? Basically, I want to be able to view my database online using a script that I wrote. How can I do this?

Thanks,

Zach

• 4 weeks later...

"viewing database _online" and import/export of XML are two very different things. There are two APIs with FileMaker Pro 6.

However, you can use XSL stylesheets with both of these methods. For Web publishing the stylesheet should be in the "Web" folder for Web Companion to find it. This is -stylehref="name.xsl"&-styletype="text/xsl". If you are importing or exporting and using XSL, the document is specified in the dialog box.

Keep in mind that not all browsers support XSL correctly (web publishing). However the Xalan processor with FMP6 does process the document correct and transforms it however you specify Export. The resulting document is saved to the location of your choice, just like any export. This document is not web-published, but may be uploaded to a location. You use the same method to transform XML into the grammar for Import into FileMaker. Import is also not web publishing.

HTH

This topic is 7926 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.