Sorting by Summary field data?

Wickerman

This topic is 2024 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm keeping track of tournament results for a backgammon club in which each player receives points for achievement in our monthly tournaments, leading to a season champion at the end of the year.  So I have a PLAYERS table and an EVENTS table and then a join table in between, PERFORMANCE, that holds the results for a single player at a single tournament.

So, I have a list view that shows each player's results with a sub-summary part totaling their cumulative point total defined as a Summary field in the Performance table set to = Total of Points.  This all adds up and displays fine.  

. . . but after sorting the records by Player name to get the sub-summary, I would like to be able to sort them by Points total -- that's the point after all, to rank them from most to least points.  But I can't sort on a Summary field, right?   Am I modeling this wrong?  Or is there a technique I'm not seeing that will enable me to sort the results by this summary value?

Without seeing your layout, or a sample file, it's a little hard to give you an exact answer.  I'm assuming a sub-summary layout, and not a regular layout in list view.

But you could make all parts sub summary, even the 'body' part.  Just make sure you sort on it.

You could add a sub-summary part sorted by points.  Then sort as needed.

You could have a dozen sub summary parts to create all different kinds of reports.  Only the sub summary parts that are sorted get shown.

Edited by Steve Martino

This topic is 2024 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.