Server Maintenance This Week. ×

"Free Type" in a joined field w/o changing original

Barry Luz

This topic is 2023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Thank you for enduring my simple question, but I just couldn't find this issue in the Forums.

I'm using the FM Starter database "Estimates" and have heavily modified it (added fields, buttons etc...) to make it more usable for our Company.  As you may know, the Estimates database is three integrated databases (Customers, Products & Estimates).  I have successfully (thanks to the help on this Forum!) implemented many very useful features, but one eludes me.

When you enter an Item, the Description is copied from the Products database auto-magically (I didn't mess with this).  However, some in the company want to be able to change the Product's Description (add to, delete words) for a particular Estimate.  But, when you change the Item Description in the portal row, it changes the Description for the Product in ALL the Estimates.  We, of course, do not want this.

So, how can I make the Description field "editable" (based on the imported Product Description) WITHOUT changing the original product Description?  Sort of making the Description a "one-way" import from the Product page.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

Hi Barry and welcome the FM Forums,

I moved your question to the FM Starting Pointing Topic area. If you are not using this file, let me know and I can move it again.

Lee

19 hours ago, Barry Luz said:

As you may know, the Estimates database is three integrated databases (Customers, Products & Estimates). 

I don't know that, and it doesn't sound right. 

After having a look, it turns out that (as expected) the file has an additional table named Estimate Data that acts as a join table between Estimates and Products - fulfilling essentially the same role as a LineItems table in an invoicing solution.

Now, going by your description of the problem, the Description field in the portal is a field in the Products table. This is why modifying it modifies the parent Product record, and the changed value is displayed in all estimates that include this product.

You need to add a Description field to the Estimate Data table, make it lookup the description from the parent Product record, and replace the existing field in the portal with this new field. This way each instance of product/estimate combination will have its own description, initially copied from the "master" description kept in the parent Product record, and modifiable individually, without affecting any other instances.

@Lee Smith

IIUC, this has nothing to do with FM Starting Point. The Estimates file is one of the templates installed with the FMP application.

Edited by comment

• Newbies

@comment,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this.  You are absolutely correct about the Estimate Data table.  I was able to change the Description field as you suggested to the Estimate Data table and it works!  I had already created the Description field in the table and had just not changed it's association on the layout.  Doohh!  

appreciate your time and thanks again!

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 10.06.24 AM.png

This topic is 2023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.