Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Copy and paste data

This topic is 1997 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I need to copy one field only from one layout (+- 200 records) and past all those records from that field into another layout.

I have tried a few commands but does not produce the required result.

Please could you advise on a script?

Edited by Lee Smith
Change title spelling error

I don't understand your question. You have 200+ records in one table (?) and you want to duplicate their values in another table (?) ? Where you also have the same amount of records? Or do you mean copy all 200+ values into  a field of a single record in the other table? Why would you ever need to do such things? Please provide some more background, as this looks like an XY problem.

I need to copy all records in the first table (Product) , but only a specific field (Part Number) to a second table (Catalog) to field Product Number)

if table 1 has 200 records, table 2 should have 200 records

The First table is my products table with pricing, which is imported from an excel file, pricing is always changing

in my catalog table i need to link a picture of the product

thus the reason why i need to duplicate.

i dont have pictures in the excel format to import every time there is a price change

If the second table (Catalog?) has no records yet, and you want to populate it with the products you currently have, then importing them is the simplest way. Filemaker allows importing records from one table to another in the same file (make sure the source table has a found set of all records you wish to import). 

But this would be a one-time operation and there would be no need to script it.

22 minutes ago, Gismo12 said:

how would i import from one table to another, one field only, without a script?

1. Go to a layout of the source table and select Show All Records from the Records menu (or do a find to locate only the records you want to import);
  2. Go to a layout of the target table and select Import Records > File… from the File menu. Choose the current file as the source file.
  3. In the Import File Mapping window, select the source table from the drop down menu on the left pane and map the source field to the target field on the right.

For more detailed instructions, see the help at: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/17/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Fimport-action-field-mapping.html%23ww1061356

--
Make sure to have a backup in case you make a mistake.

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

Hi,

I have managed to import the data successfully by I noticed that when you create a new record, the auto index key is updated but then you import, the auto primary key is not updated. which means when I click to add the photo of the product after the data has been imported, I get a primary key is defined to require a value, how would I go about this?

10 hours ago, Gismo12 said:

the auto index key is updated but then you import, the auto primary key is not updated

I am not sure what the difference between the two is. If you select Perform auto-enter options while importing in the Import Options dialog box, then all auto-enter fields will be populated.

This topic is 1997 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.