Multiple Choice for Data Insertion

Rich M

This topic is 1904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

What is the best way to choose a company name in a drop-down list in one field and have another field display that company's logo?

I originally coded this process many years ago using a calculation field and series of  "case" statements within the field definition. That worked fine when there were only a handful of choices. However, now that this list has expanded to 20+ companies, adding new companies and their logos to the list is extraordinarily cumbersome.

The logos themselves are stored as Global fields in a related table. There are four separate fields within each customer's record where I need to do this.

There has to be a better way to do this via a script instead of a calculation field, but I'm not sure of the best way to approach this.

Help will be appreciated!

No script needed, no calculation needed.

I would set up a relationship to a company table with a logo field and then just display the related logo.

Welcome to FM Forums!

Thanks for the quick reply, Fitch.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you've told me. Can you explain in a bit more detail?

Do you mean I should set up a separate table for each company and it's logo?

1 hour ago, Rich M said:

Do you mean I should set up a separate table for each company and it's logo?

No. A separate table of Companies - where each company will be a record, with fields for CompanyName and Logo - and, preferably, a CompanyID (an auto-entered serial number).

In your existing table, populate a field with the selected company's CompanyID, and show the corresponding logo using a relationship matching on CompanyID.

Edited by comment

This topic is 1904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.