Beginner Conditional Formatting question...

This topic is 1888 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm a newbie.  I am trying to create a checkbox that, if checked, the text in an edit box next to it will go from black to grey.  I have spent hours trying to figure this out.  Here is what I have:

1228250700_ScreenShot2019-02-20at5_52_05PM.thumb.png.adbc55df6e7c4f73f8f7ef760a484cd7.pngFilemaker won't accept

this for me to see if it is correct or not.  I keep getting the following message.

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 5.53.24 PM.png

What am I doing wrong?  No matter what I do I get this message.  I have created a file just to practice this.  It only has 1 table - the one in the photo and I've clicked on those fields on the left to populate the formula.  

Thanks for any help! 

Edited by Dellana

Assuming that the checkbox field is using a value list comprising of a single value "1",  your conditional formatting formula should contain only this:

Practice::Checkbox 1

This returns True when the checkbox field is checked, False otherwise. That's all you need for conditional formatting. The actual format to use when the condition is true is selected in the Format section, not in the calculation itself.

RWoods:  Yes!  This helps immensely!  I've tried this and it now works!

Thank you so much for taking the time to make this file and help a newbie.  (It took me a bit to understand that //... isn't part of the formula.  Yes, I'm THAT new.  Lol.)  

Apparently, I was way overcomplicating.

(I wish there was (maybe there is and I just couldn't find it) a tutorial with multiple practice examples that one could learn from.  Example.:  Solve this problem:  'Using a checkbox, make a text field text color change from black to grey when the texbox is checked.'  And then the answer on another page.)   

Edited by Dellana
Get rid of duplicate screenshots. I have no idea how or why they were posted.

This topic is 1888 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.