Progress Messages Confusing - Migration Complete, Migration Not Complete...

MMHinSEA

This topic is 1879 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When running a migration, the messages are confusing. At first, it says the migration is complete, but the yellow dot remains yellow, then a follow up message appears, "Migration NOT complete..." along with a delay while (presumably) the migration actually progresses towards completion.

Then, finally, green dot and completion.

The competing messages are confusing. For a future release can these be edited to be more descriptive of the actual state of the migration process?

Bonus coverage would be if the system recorded previous migration start/stop times and gave some educated guesses about time required to complete the process. The time required is quite different for different servers/solutions and the reminder would be helpful to me as I sit and wonder how long I have to wait before worrying.

1347344984_Screenshot2019-02-2411_51_15.png.682ab921b24addb2de2bc37ff98e4220.png

Hey MMHinSEA,

To describe your screenshot, this shows that 0 databases have a completed migration, and there is 1 database where the migration is not complete.  As the files are migrated, the databases will move into the "Migration Complete For Databases" section.

We are working on better reporting of the migration process, and I expect this to be included in a future release.

It will be very hard to anticipate the length of the migration, mainly due to the fact that the migration tool makes the call whether to migrate the databases in "block" mode (really fast) or "record" mode (slower, but still fast).  "Record" mode migration is triggered if there is any field definition changed in a table, and can result in a table taking a lot longer to migrate, relatively.  We could potentially analyze the schema differences between dev and prod and guess at which mode the migration tool will use, but this is not a high priority feature for us now, and would involve a good deal of work to get working correctly.

Thanks,

Joe Martin

Hi - thanks for replying.

I do understand there are many high and low priorities as you develop the software and look forward to some clearer formatting and/or language in this window.

The specific issue I screen-shotted above could probably be solved easily with a "(none)" in the space below the "completed" heading.

Any kind of progress indication would be welcome. Even an indication showing if block or record based cloning was being used would be helpful. Another easy change that would provide immediately-useful feedback would be to add in the confirmation email a "Total time to complete" line near the top of the message... the start and end times are there, so that should be a trivial calculation.

Thanks~

Edited by MMHinSEA

This topic is 1879 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.