Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How can I count how many times a word/text appears in a column for inventory?

This topic is 1843 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Spoiler
Spoiler

I have an inventory database with several different types of inventory in it.  I would love to have at the top of the header a count of each type of device I have.

The Column name is "Device Type", and right now I only have four different types of devices, "Printer, CiscoPhone, DockStation, and Lablemaker".   I would love to have a counter in the header for each device so I can simply see how many of each device I have.  I can't seem to find a way to do this, and I am sure there must be.

Could you please help me out?? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

pic1.docx

Edited by 1FilemakerMan
Left full usernames on picture.

The simple way to do this is to produce a report sorted by DeviceType, and use a summary field to show the count of each type in a sub-summary part. You can remove the body part from the report layout, so you get only the summaries.

If you want to show all the sub-summary values together, at the top/bottom of the full report, then it gets a bit more complicated. The attached demo shows how you can use a method known as Fast Summaries by Mikhail Edoshin to pre-produce the summaries and show them in a text field inside a grand summary part.

FastSummarySubTotals.fmp12

OK, I will experiment/look up online how to do a summary field.  I am not sure if I have ever done one before, I am still very new to Filemaker.  But I love it!

Thanks.

Edited by 1FilemakerMan

This topic is 1843 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.