Go to field or go to object?

Charity

This topic is 1809 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have searched and my question does not seem to be asked. I am confused on when to use one or the other when I want to take a person back to a field.  so example

person types into a field A and before leaving layout I check many things that they did.  I see they need to correct field A so I show custom message as to why and i want to take them back to field A. this is all on open record not allow commit first. Is it best to object name field A and use Go To Object or use Go To field?  ps i have field validation usually also but i like to use nicer messages. Also I do not always know the message i want to give them until they are finished with several fields.

Can some explain when i might want to use one or the other? i am always confused on it.

Edited by Charity

You need to use Go to Object if (a) you have more than one instance of the same field on the layout and you want to specify a specific instance to go to, or (b) you need to calculate which field to go to at script runtime. Otherwise the simpler Go to Field step (which does not require giving an object name to the field) is sufficient, and IMHO preferable.

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

This topic is 1809 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.