Sign in to follow this  
Ronan

Display found count from one layout in another layout.

I'm modifying an existing database. The records I'm working with are estimates. Each estimate has a estimate number in this format: 16-123. The client sometimes makes duplicate versions of existing estimates. They then have the format 16-123-2, 16-123-3, etc.

There is a field (Version) that indicates what version you're looking at. If there are 5 versions of an estimate, the version field will display the number 1-5 as you flip through the records.

The client wants the Version field to be a drop down that displays the number of versions the estimate has. They want to select a version from the drop down and have that record load. For example, if there are 5 versions of an estimate and you're looking at version 4, the drop down displays 4. If you click on the drop down you'll see 1-5. you pick 2 and version 2 is loaded.

I've made a new table occurence and related it back using the Estimate number. A script searches by the first 6 digits (16-123) of the estimate number and lists the results in a layout based on the new TO.. I made a field for found count. I can't get the found count of the new TO list layout to display on the original layout or figure a way to have the script run in the background as the user browses through estimates. I'm wondering if a portal is the way to go?

Thanks!

I would probably use a Popover with a portal that shows all related estimates based on the customer or the 'Base Estimate Number"  the portal will list all the versions a button assigned on the portal row would GTRR to the related record. (it could be styled to look like menu) 

Using a dropdown menu based on a value list may not be as efficient. - And this way you land on the record you clicked - with a drop down the best would require a find operation to isolate the record.

15 minutes ago, Ocean West said:

I would probably use a Popover with a portal that shows all related estimates based on the customer or the 'Base Estimate Number"  the portal will list all the versions a button assigned on the portal row would GTRR to the related record. (it could be styled to look like menu) 

Using a dropdown menu based on a value list may not be as efficient. - And this way you land on the record you clicked - with a drop down the best would require a find operation to isolate the record.

Thanks, that's a great idea. I'll try it and post back if (when) I get stuck.