Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How can I set up a relationship to an external file without the user having the password to this file?

This topic is 1811 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I need all users in a solution to be able to read data from a table in an external Filemaker data source. I cannot create every user again in the external file. I have created a user in the external file that has the needed access. As I understand it my users would get a password dialog when trying to access the external data but the users, of course, doesn't have the password. What is the recommended way to accomplish this?

OK, first, are we talking about another FileMaker Pro file or some other type such as would be accessed via ESS?

If this is a FileMaker Pro file, define a Privilege Set in it with appropriate controls.  Then create an External Authenticated Account.  Put users into a similarly named External Account in your file.  Then place individual Accounts and passwords on the Domain Controller or in the Local Security Group area of your server. When you user logs in, the user gets rights to all files with matching group names.

Steven H. Blackwell

Platinum Member Emeritus, FIleMaker Business Alliance

• Like 1

• Newbies

Thank you Steven, that's a workable solution in this case. A little more complex than I hoped for as I'm not using external authentication today but I guess it's time to start. A lot of things will be simpler when managing big groups of users.

/Fredric Nigran

You could also open the file with a fmp url. You can specify the username and password in the url, though that may not be secure enough. Fmp urls are send across in plain text afaik. Once the file is open FM will access that file with user used to open the file.

Just to elaborate a bit on this, you could create a user (in the foreign file) with only permission to log in/open (the foreign file), and then do a relogin using credentials stored in your solution to gain the required permissions. This would mitigate the insecurity of logging in to the foreign solution somewhat.

Edited by OlgerDiekstra

This topic is 1811 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.