When P2P will be unavailable ...

This topic is 1643 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I have a solution ( For French Auction ) using FMS ( Local ) and FM Client ( 16 and 17 )

Some auctions are located in areas where not internet is available.

Right now, my client are exporting an instance of the Auction ( With all the related Datas, ) go to the place where the Auction takes places with Laptops, use one laptop as the Main Computer and the second one as a Client. ( Mainly to edit and Print Invoices during the auctions ) and all is good.

This is pretty straight forward and customer are more then happy with the way it works.

P2P will be discontinued in and after FMP 18.

Any ideas of how this can be continued or any workaround, knowing that

Customer have no clue on setting serveurs.

Internet is mostly NOT available off site, so cloud is not an option.

Just the input : This Solution is up since 1988, has been rewritten 3 times from scratch, ... so just wondering if it's time to move out from filemaker.

Thanks for your thoughts

A basic user license covers both the clients and 3 servers, so it should be fairly trivial to set up FMS on one of their laptops and continue to pretty much work like they do.  Setting up FMS is not daunting, a simple written procedure will get them through it. And they will get all the benefit of live backups etc.

2 hours ago, Eric-CIS said:

Hello,

P2P will be discontinued in and after FMP 18.

18 has been out for about 5 months now... P2P is still there.  Where did you read that it will be discontinued shortly?

• Newbies

Hi Wim,

Yes it is still in FM18, but as a depreciated feature and recommended not to use it in production but only in test environnement. And Claris clearly stated it will be discontinued in the next release of Filemaker. Which probably should occur in the coming 12 Month.

Well on paper all is fine. But they don't need backup-up on their laptop. As soon as they get back to the office, they import all Datas in the main DB which is on their server. It's a "one click" procédure for them, so very handy.

Do you mean we can set-up an FMS serveur on a laptop AND connect an FM Client running on the same machine ( No Virtual Environnement ) ? or on a separate laptop. ?

17 minutes ago, Eric-CIS said:

But they don't need backup-up on their laptop. As soon as they get back to the office, ...

Lots can happen to the files while they are being used, so I would argue that one can never have enough backups.

18 minutes ago, Eric-CIS said:

Do you mean we can set-up an FMS serveur on a laptop AND connect an FM Client running on the same machine ( No Virtual Environnement ) ? or on a separate laptop. ?

Yes, you can can connect to FMS from the same machine FMS is on, but it is not ideal. But then P2P isn't either and if I had to choose between the two I would pick FMS every single time.  Especially since it is already covered by the basic licensing.

If this was my client though I would pick a small-factor machine to act as a server, or perhaps a dedicated laptop and lug that around.

• Newbies

Yes, agreed you never have enough backup. They have one ( more then one inside and outside ) in the office. so we are good on this side.

So to do the same as we have been doing since 30 years. Now I need an extra machine, an extra server, more procedure to make everything run smooth, which means more risk during Data Transfert. ( Once out from the Office server, import on the laptop server, connect the two machines on the server, and once the Auction done, export Data from the laptop server, ... and import back in the office server ) .... and delete all Data from the Laptop Server to avoid any problem with duplicate.

Whow. I love Filemaker, I just don't understand this road of killing features that have been there and running flawlessy for years, and making everything more complicated with every new release.

And the same has also occurred with so many other nice features .... Oh well. I'm probably getting to old ....

This topic is 1643 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.