QR code

DPaquin

This topic is 1642 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to generate QR code within FileMaker Pro. I’ve been looking on the internet but I am not sure on what to do.

QR code are to be generated in the background. Customers would make their order and part of their receipts a QR code would be printed.

By pointing to their QR code with their intelligent phone some triggers would be activated.

Then my need is to gather customer information generate and provide the customer invoice with a QR code for him to point when the product is ready.

I would appreciate in getting your advise on getting a FMP generate QR code function. 

with regards!

Daniel

Let's see if we can list all the available options:

1. Use a plugin;
  2. Get the barcode from an API (e.g. Google Charts);
  3. Generate the barcode in a web viewer using Javascript (there are open-source libraries available for this);
  4. Use Barcode Creator from Geist Interactive (I believe this calculates the image as text, then converts it to a file using the Base64Decode() function; with a lot of work, you could do the same).

Thanks Comment, this is very helpful.

It has to be self contained since I do not have access the internet. It’s being used in a closed network, the wifi network connection is turned off and no computers are connected via Ethernet wire (rj45). 
Does this eliminate option 3, I am guessing this option requires internet connection when the QR code generator is being launched. 

I need to ensure all cameras from people intelligent phones and tactiles tablet can interpret the code at all times.

Does this eliminates option 4, because requires a lot of programming and there is possibilities of missing some codings. I also have only one week to program this functionality.

We are then left with option 1 and 2. One or two computers (future usage could be one or two iPads) would connected to a Filemaker server via an ethernet cable (rj45). As an exemple, then QR code would be displayed on the iPads and the user would use the camera of their intelligent phone to scan the code.

Does this help, I may have to buy a plugin. What would available at a reasonable cost?

I do not know about the bar code from an API (Google charts). Does it need access to the internet when being executed?

14 minutes ago, DPaquin said:

Does this eliminate option 3, I am guessing this option requires internet connection when the QR code generator is being launched. 

No, the Javascript is self-contained and executed entirely within the web viewer. But it does eliminate option 1 (unless you set up your own API within the closed network).

18 minutes ago, DPaquin said:

I also have only one week to program this functionality.

That would eliminate option 4.b (doing yourself what Geist Interactive have done for you). 

So basically you are down to either using a paid solution (plugin or Barcode Creator) or Javascript.

24 minutes ago, DPaquin said:

I may have to buy a plugin. What would available at a reasonable cost?

I am afraid I have no idea.

1 hour ago, comment said:

the Javascript is self-contained and executed entirely within the web viewer. 

I’ve got no experience in this. I use scriptmaster which I believe used JavaScript. Is it kind if the same?

I’ve quickly look at QR code java script self contained  on the internet and it’s says compatible with such browsers (Safari, Chrome...). My application is FileMaker Pro stand alone application how a JavaScript self-contained run in such application.

As you can see I have wears questions because I’ve got very low knowledge in this. thanks again!

2 hours ago, DPaquin said:

I use scriptmaster which I believe used JavaScript. Is it kind if the same?

No. ScriptMaster uses Java (or Groovy, which is a Java variant), not Javascript. Two completely different languages.

2 hours ago, DPaquin said:

My application is FileMaker Pro stand alone application how a JavaScript self-contained run in such application.

It runs in a web viewer, not in Filemaker itself. The web viewer is just an instance of Safari on MacOS and Internet Explorer on Windows.

In this thread you will find two demo files showing how you can produce QR codes in Filemaker. They both use the same Javascript code available from:
http://davidshimjs.github.io/qrcodejs/

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

This topic is 1642 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.