Serial

This topic is 1592 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi!
I'm new to the forum and I don't know if this is the right place, if I'm not sorry.
I am developing a database for a project in my school subject and I can't finish could they help me?
The teacher asked us to create a formula so that following the SSN criteria and randomly and automatically the filemaker gave this number.
The example he gave was as follows:
When creating a new record student A automatically received the following SSN: ###-##-1234 which according to the same criteria is valid, repeating the same step student B automatically received the following SSN: ##-##-1235 which according to the criteria is the same.

Welcome to the forums. Starting with the basics: are you asking where to set auto-entry options? That would be under File > Manage > Database, then choose a field, click Options..., click the Auto-Enter tab, and then either use the "Serial number" option, or if you need something more complicated, use "Calculated value."

I suspect that you want to do something complicated like roll over the three groups of digits independently but it's not clear from your question. You haven't told us exactly what you mean by "criteria." If you literally mean use the hashtag character followed by a 4-digit number that increments, you could just use the Serial number option. It can include an arbitrary text prefix.

PS: the field should be a text field,  not a number field.

This topic is 1592 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.