Textfields regularily cut off??

spongebob

This topic is 1560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Y'all,

I have the following Problem, which has existed ever since at least Filemaker Version 11, I have come across this on several occasions in many different Database files.

I have a simple portrait layout with 3-4 Text fields, all rather long as they can contain much text, one below the other. Quite simple really.

The layout is organized so that all Text Fields "shift up" upon printing (with the enclosing part, based on all objects above), so that if theres only a little text in one field, it looks nice (I dont think thats relevant though anyways...).

In my script, first I fill up the 4 fields with my text.

Then I put the thing in Preview mode so the user sees "the final result" on the screen, he can page through the pages to check out the result, and then if he likes, he can hit continue and print, or save it as a pdf.

Problem:

Depending how much text I put into the first field, sometimes the field cuts off the last few words of the last sentence of the text in the field.
When this happens, the last words of the last sentence in the field are simply not shown.

When the last sentence is cut off (last few words are not shown) the problem also ocurrs on the pdf as well as the printout.

Its not that the field is not large enough to hold my text, trust me, the field is definitely large enough to accommodate my few paragraphs of text, but apparently, tests have shown that depending on how much text I put in there, sometimes the text of the very last sentence is not cut off (all is well) and sometimes it is cut off (all is not well).

A workaround has been to stick a carriage return at the end of the text. That does fix it but, when the text however becomes 2 Pages long the problem appears again. This can be remedied by more carriage returns. After three or so pages more returns are needed to avoid the problem.

This is however an un-elegant and very ugly workaround as its totally not clear as of what text length carriage returns will be needed so even with the workaround sometimes text can be cut off.

If I add too many or too few carriage returns, either a big gap appears at the bottom of the field or again, he cuts off text.

Whats really freaky is that if I use normal text fields on the layout this happens.

When I use <<fieldname>> text blocks on the layout instead IT ALSO HAPPENS. (!Wow Gasp yes!)

Question: Has anyone ever seen this and do you know a workaround?

Thanking you in advance, this is our most desperate hour ObiWan ;)

Spongebob

ps - this is for a DB with highly confidential contents so providing the db example will be tricky

Edited by spongebob

Kind of really depends on the layout and object settings...

• in layout setup make sure you uncheck the boxes when these are on objects with borders won't print properly 

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 1.28.01 PM.png

• you may consider adding padding to the field the size of the field will slide up and should preserve some margin around the text
  • consider making line spacing .875 vs 1
  • one time had similar issue I would count words in the fields if the field was over a certain threshold i would use logic in the "Hide Object When" on various copies of the field to show/hide as needed each version had a different setting or alignment and in some cases depending on platform used a different font. 
  • try something different use a Virtual List to output the document.
  • if you are ok with printing to a PDF first and then printing the pdf vs Printing directly from FMP one option you could possibly do is generate HTML then use a tool that converts html to PDF - this should preserve structure and avoid clipping of text. YMMV

Hey Ocean West,

thank you for your detailed involvement!

Thats alot of great ideas right there, of which I must try every single one.

I am though now on xmas Holiday until Middle of January now and can only try them then.

"try something different use a Virtual List to output the document. "

Hey thats really cute! Ive worked with Filemaker for 30 odd years and I dont even know what that is LOL

I will try! And I promise, like a good Jedi, I will report back here.

So patience with me please (just this problem has now bugged me enough over the years)

Merry Christmas to you and its nice to already know, that there is hope.

I love Filemaker. Best software ever.

best wishes,

Spongebob

"Live now. Make now always the most precious moment. Now, will never come again."

Jean-Luc Picard, Captain of the Enterprise NCC 1701-D.

This topic is 1560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.