SSL mails stopped working

This topic is 1549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

on one machine where I have FMP v10 running, my mail scripts have suddenly (I think) stopped working. I created a test file, but I get the same results. The script used to work just fine. Now I always get a box saying "There was an error with SSL". My provider changed addresses a while back but the old server names are still working, presumably to not break everyone's email client. I have tried with both the old and the new SSL credentials and it makes no difference. Sending emails vial my normal email client app works fine, so the credentials are obviously correct.

In the script, I tried leaving out the name (found that as a possible cause while searching) to no avail.

Tried with several other SMTP servers, with and without authentication.

Using the E-mail client option works, btw, but it's not an option.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Stefan

That's an interesting point! This machine handles my mailing lists etc.

The Email client on it (Apple Mail on 10.6.8) is even older but has no problems handling mails. Obviously it is talking to the same servers. I don't know much about the under-the-hood work of SSL, but how would that be different then?

(I'll make a copy of the file now and test it on a *slightly* newer machine with FMP 13.)

Edited by stefangs

You can't compare Apple Mail and FM in this respect.  One thing you can do is to reach out to your email provider and see if they can spot anything in the mail server logs that would provide a clue as to why they are rejecting the incoming SMTP.

Note that in general, many of the bigger email providers (Google, Office365,...) are actively moving away from basic authentication (username / pw) for access to SMTP, POP, IMAP and similar older protocols.  So you may want to investigate switching over to using their APIs.  Which will give you the benefit of more functionality (for instance you can easily send multiple attachments and HTML emails without having to use a plugin).

That's a good idea! I'll try this tomorrow when I'm at the office.

And regarding the move to more current FM versions, I just looked at this ;-)

https://community.filemaker.com/en/s/question/0D50H00006o3mDHSAY/omg-why-did-they-break-the-smtp-send-mail-script-step-in-fmpa-18-

Of course, this may be another trick altogether.

This topic is 1549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.